PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone planning ahead?

Options
Hi,
I know we're not even into summer yet, but have any of you started to prepare for later on in the year, particularly with energy prices?
We've got a multi fuel burner, so the plan is to stock up with wood over summer and spend as much time as possible in that room in order to avoid using central heating. (Coal just makes everything dirty).  Other than that I'm not really sure what to do.  Our energy supplier was SSE, and they've moved us to OVO (cheapest tariff).
Any tips would be very welcome.  I bought a lovely Christmas blanket for a few quid from The Range last year, which I often wrap myself up in when watching TV.  Just wish I'd bought my husband one now, as I've a feeling they'll be more expensive this year!
Thanks

Comments

• gill5blue
    gill5blue Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Regarding energy usage- I have bought smart plugs, they turn off appliances when you don't need them. I have set up a schedule for minimum usage of electricity. These plugs use between 1 and 1.6 watts each.
    I have stocked up on wood and coal for the log burner.
    I have bought thick jumpers to wear.
    I have just replaced an old fashioned boiler/emersion heater and already my gas usage has plummeted. :)
    All windows and doors have been replaced in the last two years.
    Need to buy hot water bottle and would like to buy a Wim Hoff poncho.
    So I think I'm nearly ready.
    Gill5blue
    pay all debts off 2023-No 30 paid £3340.45/£7941

• Gin_and_Milk
    Gin_and_Milk Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
    My feet feel the cold too, especially when I'm working in the study.  That was an extension which was built before we bought the house, and it's obvious they didn't bother with any sort of insulation.
    We bought a chest freezer last year as I tend to batch cook, and it's one of the best things we've bought in a long time.
    I'll take a look at the prepping for winter thread too.
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    We're only just feeling the heat, I don't want to think about the misery of being cold.

Having said that I think a review of the store cupboards and stocking up on things that are used regularly is sensible. I for one wouldn't wish to run out of toothpaste or toilet roll!
    I know what you mean, although we're not feeling the heat at all up here which makes it easier to think about.  I'm wanting to prepare ahead because what I spend now I can offset on utility bills.  I think coal and wood will get more expensive as we get into autumn / winter, so I want to avoid paying more as much as possible.  Can't avoid it altogether obviously, but I can definitely minimise it.
    We also live in an old 3 storey house, and even though we had the boiler replaced about 4 years ago for something more economical, it's still not cheap to heat.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We also live in an old 3 storey house, and even though we had the boiler replaced about 4 years ago for something more economical, it's still not cheap to heat.
    Have you done things like shutting off rooms, putting carpet / rugs down on hard / wooden floors, door curtains, draught excluders etc?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    Floss said:
    Have you done things like shutting off rooms, putting carpet / rugs down on hard / wooden floors, door curtains, draught excluders etc?
    Good points - we used to have door sausages, no idea why I got rid, but yes, things like that do make a big difference!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My front door is quite wide, too wide for a standard sausage so I rolled up an old fleece blanket & tied it with thick cord in 2 places to make a custom draught excluder 😉
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family