We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How best to help my neighbour?

12346»

Comments

  • ellymoo said:
    Thank you both for your replies.

    I'm only going on what he tells me and the information I get at the time - he told me he didn't use his heating, then after all that he said he had a fan heater. I am struggling a bit with this but I am not making stuff up. I do however know that he doesn't use any of the appliances we take for granted (dishwasher, etc.). I have told him that the convector heater is expensive but in fairness to him, given that he doesn't use anything else, he should be able to heat his bedroom a bit in the morning without it costing him £200 a month.

    I have no idea what a 'standard household' is supposed to be but I doubt it is him. 

    His charges are

    43.855p

    15.811p (I figure this is night)

    Standing charge 54.05p 

    It looks like the immersion heater and fan heater use about the same. I will advise him to have his immersion on for an hour and see if that makes a difference. He doesn't use a smartphone (he doesn't even send texts) so I can't set up the app but I have already asked him to plug in his smart meter panel and look at the usage of his convector heater. Hopefully that might persuade him to move to the storage heaters.

    Would an oil filled radiator be cheaper for him? I don't think his Economy 7 is saving him any money unless he uses the storage heaters!

    He is currently £102 in debt but as the weather gets warmer I suspect he would clear that quickly.

    Using the rates provided then 7 units offpeak and 10 units peak plus standing charge will cost him £6.43 a day. Where are you getting the online daily cost of £18 from?
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    @[Deleted User]
    OP is saying 13 to 17KWh peak, not 10KWh plus the 7KWh off peak. Last year average usage between Janaury and March was 19.5KWh and 4.09KWh which would make it £9.77..  Still far off from £18.

    I assume they are looking at the IHD with potentially very wrong unit rates or a very cold day.
  • ellymoo said:
    Scottish Power are trying to put my neighbour's payments up AGAIN to £220 per month (currently £180). I don't understand it. He doesn't use his storage heaters at all. We've got a timer for his hot water and it's on for 2 hours in the Economy 7 hours (0400-0600). He even unplugs his kettle for heaven's sake. He doesn't have his smart meter panel on in case it uses electricity (but I've now persuaded him to put it on so he can monitor energy usage). 

    He uses about 7 units an evening and around 13-17 units a day. SP say that his usage is what they'd expect for a standard household - but his isn't a standard household. He has no appliances. The only thing we can think of is his convection heater which he puts on first thing in the morning when it's cold, so he's going to take meter readings before and after the heater has been on. Apart from that I'm at my wit's end about how to handle this. Looking at his usage online sometimes he is (apparently) using £18 of electricity a day although the SP lady said that this wasn't accurate. She said his usage has gone up by 200 units a year but wasn't able to tell me what that means although she said it wasn't much. 

    Should we move to another supplier? Any advice gratefully received.
    That’s quite high consumption for someone living the way you’ve described. Everyone’s living situation is different so a direct comparison between households has very limited usefulness, but just for some perspective I’m also very tight on the energy use and my flat typically uses 3-5 units per day total including having two extra fridge/freezers running and washing machine/dishwasher use as needed.

    To be using up to 17 units per day there must be something he’s not aware of eating power, unless he’s perhaps using the heater much more than he realises. Taking readings before and after heating is definitely a good call here.

    A new supplier might help with any customer service issues with SP and could offer a more useful platform for checking past energy use but it won’t solve the underlying problem of the energy consumption - the fact seems to be that the electric is being used somewhere and that will remain the case no matter what supplier he’s with.
    Moo…
  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Thanks all for your replies. He's been taking daily meter readings so I will pop them up here later. He's now stopped using the heater so we will see if that makes more of a difference than he realises. I really appreciate your responses. 
  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Have you actually confirmed that his meter is reading the use in his flat and not some other neighbour?
    I am pretty sure it is - I may have to go over and check.
  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    ellymoo said:
    Thank you both for your replies.

    I'm only going on what he tells me and the information I get at the time - he told me he didn't use his heating, then after all that he said he had a fan heater. I am struggling a bit with this but I am not making stuff up. I do however know that he doesn't use any of the appliances we take for granted (dishwasher, etc.). I have told him that the convector heater is expensive but in fairness to him, given that he doesn't use anything else, he should be able to heat his bedroom a bit in the morning without it costing him £200 a month.

    I have no idea what a 'standard household' is supposed to be but I doubt it is him. 

    His charges are

    43.855p

    15.811p (I figure this is night)

    Standing charge 54.05p 

    It looks like the immersion heater and fan heater use about the same. I will advise him to have his immersion on for an hour and see if that makes a difference. He doesn't use a smartphone (he doesn't even send texts) so I can't set up the app but I have already asked him to plug in his smart meter panel and look at the usage of his convector heater. Hopefully that might persuade him to move to the storage heaters.

    Would an oil filled radiator be cheaper for him? I don't think his Economy 7 is saving him any money unless he uses the storage heaters!

    He is currently £102 in debt but as the weather gets warmer I suspect he would clear that quickly.

    Using the rates provided then 7 units offpeak and 10 units peak plus standing charge will cost him £6.43 a day. Where are you getting the online daily cost of £18 from?
    That cost is from the Scottish Power website where it says you can see your daily usage - but when I spoke to them on the phone they said that that wasn't really accurate. So it doesn't help very much!
  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    P has been keeping daily readings. He takes them at 0730 and 1930 daily. Here are some, if they help at all! Thank you.

    Jan:
    23rd:
    05490 / 01749
    05508 / 01749

    24th:
    05514 / 01756
    05535 / 01756

    25th:
    05542 / 01763
    05560 / 01763

    26th:
    05565 / 01772
    05581 / 01772

    27th:
    05586 / 01779
    05600 / 01779

    28th:
    05607 / 01786
    05618 / 01786

    29th:
    05623 / 01794
    05634 / 01794

    Feb:
    27th:
    06161 / 01989
    06182 / 01989

    28th:
    06188 / 01997
    06200 / 01997

    March
    1st:
    06205 / 02002
    06226 / 02002

    2nd:
    06232 / 02009
    06244 / 02009

    3rd:
    06249 / 02015
    06261 / 02015

    4th:
    06267 / 02020
    06283 / 02020

    5th:
    06288 / 02027
    06309 / 02028

    6th:
    06315 / 02036
    06331 / 02037

    7th:
    06337 / 02041
    06353 / 02041

    8th:
    06362 / 02045
    06387 / 02045

    9th:
    06392 / 02053
    06413 / 02053

    10th:
    06420 / 02060
    06440 / 02061

    11th:
    06446 / 02069
    06470 / 02070

    12th:
    06478 / 02018
    06486 / 02079

    April:
    17th:
    06978 / 02280
    06985 / 02281

    18th:
    06988 / 02284
    06994 / 02284

    19th:
    06997 / 02288
    06999 / 02288

    20th:
    02001 / 02292
    02002 / 02292

    21st:
    02004 / 02296
    02008 / 02296

    22nd:
    02012 / 02299
    02017 / 02299

    23rd: 
    02022 / 02304
    02024 / 02304

    24th: 02029 / 02307
    02036 / 02307

    25th
    02039 / 02312
    02044 / 02312

    26th:
    02046 / 02316
    02051 / 02316
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 29 April 2023 at 12:18PM
    Why are the day time readings suddenly completely different in April

    18th:
    06988 / 02284
    06994 / 02284

    19th:
    06997 / 02288
    06999 / 02288

    20th:
    02001 / 02292
    02002 / 02292
    From 20th onwards the readings are suddenly in the 2xxx range. Are that wrong readings?

    Otherwise the day time reading is "only" 50KWh for 7 days, and 24KWH for night. Compared to the winter readings much lower, but 10KWh a day (now without heating?) is not somebody who lives amonost without energy.

    End of Januar to end of February was over 800KWh.

  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 29 April 2023 at 2:11PM
    Oh I'm sorry that's me misreading his writing. I think they go from 06997 on 19th to 07001 on 20th.

    I think I will need to get someone to look at his flat as this doesn't make any sense. I will see if someone can send an engineer or something :vague: I have a dishwasher, a washing machine and gas heating. My monthly usage is around 900KW so you can see why this doesn't make sense to me!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.