We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How best to help my neighbour?

2456

Comments

  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    BUFF said:
    £196 pm for a one bedroom flat is nonsensical UNLESS he is somehow using heating but doesn't realise it!!
    e.g. check that his immersion heater isn't running 24/7
    Thank you - I don't think he has one but will check. He has night storage heaters which he never uses because they're rubbish! 
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,691 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ellymoo said:
    Thanks very much for your answers. I really appreciate them all.

    Firstly the credit that was there - £400 odd - was 'wiped out' by his usage. I have asked him to check his meter number (he's my old neighbour so I can't pop round myself).

    I'm going through his bills online currently. I can only see as far back as 2020 and can't download all the bills to look at the meter readings infuriatingly so am currently on hold to Scottish Power.

    16 Oct 2020.
    Closing balance -£4.58
    Payments of £82 continued

    15 Jan 2021.
    Apparently he used £1221.07 electricity* (I suspect an error here)
    Payments of £82 continued.
    Closing balance of -£807.

    3 Feb 2021
    Used £90.36 of electricity
    Closing balance -£902.61

    10 Feb 2021
    Electricity used £2399.97* 
    Cancelled charges (difference between est and actual): £2142.30
    Closing balance £1280.26

    24 March 21
    Electricity used £273
    Direct debit payment £205
    Closing balance £1361.91

    23 April 21
    Electricity used £182.91
    Direct debit payments: £308, £205
    Closing balance -£1040.97

    16 July
    Electricity used £407
    Payments made £308 x 2
    Closing balance: - £853

    21 Oct 21
    Electricity used £754
    Cancelled charges £286
    Closing balance £185

    13 Nov (when he asked me for help)
    Electricity used £87.81
    Closing balance £401

    Latest bill:
    22 April
    Electricity used £525
    Closing balance £77

    Payment received in May: £136

    The meter readings I can download thusfar:

    July
    Electricity 16 Jul 21 Day 26885 (E )
    Electricity 16 Jul 21 Night 24669 (E ) 

    October:
    Electricity 21 Oct 21 Day 26000 (A)
    Electricity 21 Oct 21 Night 25062 (A)


    November
    Electricity 13 Nov 21 Day 26308 (A)
    Electricity 13 Nov 21 Night 25141 (A)


    His smart meter was installed early December.

    January
    lectricity 21 Jan 22 Day 1287 (S )
    Electricity 21 Jan 22 Night 269 (S )

    April
    Electricity 22 Apr 22 Day 3064 (S )
    Electricity 22 Apr 22 Night 641 (S )


    Since the smart meter went in, he has used a lot more day than night - so may be better off on the single standard rate - is he paying different day and night rates?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 26,373 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    No - right now the variable probably is the cheapest - counter intuitive to what we've spent years seeing, I know, but there you go, these are strange times.

    What the above does show is that he needs to be making better use of his overnight "cheaper" rate - at the moment the balance between night and day readings is skewed to mean that E7 is probably NOT his best option. I take it that the rates are shown on the bills the right way round? I have personal experience that Scottish Power have "form" for what might be politely described as "bu66ering this up".  There is often an assumption that rate 1 is "day" and rate 2 is "night - but this isn't always the case - ours are transposed for example so that R2 is our day rate - when we change supplier or on the very rare occasions our meter is officially read I have to be certain that they have it correct. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00 Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    Balance as at 31/08/24 = £105,400.00 Balance as at 31/12/24 = £102,500.00
    £100k barrier broken 1/4/25
    Balance as at 31/08/25 = £ 95,450.00. Balance as at 31/12/25 = £ 91,100.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 May 2022 at 11:13AM
    Thanks for your replies. I think I'm going to need to go around and look at the meter myself when I get home to check that the rates aren't the wrong way around. I'm on hold to Scottish Power now so will find out if he's paying different rates for day and night.

    Do the meter readings - slim though they are - look reasonable for a guy who is hardly ever home? I have no idea how to read them.

    I will ask him to do his own meter reading when he leaves for the day and then comes home as well, to check if anything is draining electricity when he isn't there.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 13,156 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ellymoo said:
    Thanks very much for your answers. I really appreciate them all.

    Firstly the credit that was there - £400 odd - was 'wiped out' by his usage. I have asked him to check his meter number (he's my old neighbour so I can't pop round myself).

    I'm going through his bills online currently. I can only see as far back as 2020 and can't download all the bills to look at the meter readings infuriatingly so am currently on hold to Scottish Power.

    16 Oct 2020.
    Closing balance -£4.58
    Payments of £82 continued

    15 Jan 2021.
    Apparently he used £1221.07 electricity* (I suspect an error here)
    Payments of £82 continued.
    Closing balance of -£807.

    3 Feb 2021
    Used £90.36 of electricity
    Closing balance -£902.61

    1

    His smart meter was installed early December.

    January
    lectricity 21 Jan 22 Day 1287 (S )
    Electricity 21 Jan 22 Night 269 (S )

    April
    Electricity 22 Apr 22 Day 3064 (S )
    Electricity 22 Apr 22 Night 641 (S )

    Very suspicious that the Day consumption far exceeds the Night.


    Never pay on an estimated bill. Always read and understand your bill
  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Yes that is a good point!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,691 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    It looks to me like the consumption that would match with use of electric heaters during the day/evening - and many people do use more heating than they think. But definitely looks worth confirming.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 13,156 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I think we talking quarterly billing here.

    Jan - April Day approx 1800 (600 / month) ; Night approx 400 (130 / month)
    Never pay on an estimated bill. Always read and understand your bill
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 10,853 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Robin9 said:
    Very suspicious that the Day consumption far exceeds the Night.
    If he's not using the Night Storage Heaters then the Day consumption will far exceed the Night, especially if he's using a plug-in electric heater of some sort e.g. convectors, panel heaters, oil filled radiators etc.
    Might be a good idea to do the Storage Heater Sanity Test to make sure they're working properly and make sure that he understands how to use them effectively.  They're cheap and easy to repair, even if old.
    Nothing is more expensive than plug-in daytime electric heating, especially on E7 where the day rate is even more expensive than single rate.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 9,079 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Robin9 said:
    I think we talking quarterly billing here.

    Jan - April Day approx 1800 (600 / month) ; Night approx 400 (130 / month)
    730kwh per month is twice what I'm using in a 5 bedroomed house (with gch); it must include hot water and/or heating surely?
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.