edited 21 April at 10:39AM in LPG, heating oil, solid & other fuels
16 replies 679 views
2»

Replies

• MsttyMstty Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The truth is we can all state what suits our particular house, in our particular region of the country, on our particular install (designed from new or retrofit) and the time we have had control of the system.

The reality is you need to spend some time with your controller with several cups of tea, over several days (ideally with the same weather conditions) with a spreadsheet.

What I have got from this and other threads is some good pointers of how to run our ASHP more efficiently which is key this winter with energy prices.

Now for the big question our ASHP is a Mitsubishi unit and you can get an extended warranty that includes service, remote monitoring and free call outs and fix if it develops a fault. For £35 a month we are seriously considering this.
    Energy Provider Eon Next v18 2 year fixed ends April 2024 £177.70 per month DD(Real usage is under £2000 a year). Plan is to get this sub £150(£1800) in the second year of the fix due to our energy usage reduction exercise and no extremely cold winters!
    Energy Used Electricity only. Hoping to get down to 6000 kWh a year currently estimating 6150 kWh a year in a 4 bedroom detached house EPC high B. Designed not retro-fitted ASHP Mitsubishi Ecodan, under floor heating ground floor, radiators 1st floor. Multi-fuel burner in lounge.

Dyslexia sufferer don't be too harsh if I get things a bit topsy turdy.
  • Reed_RichardsReed_Richards Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mstty said:

Now for the big question our ASHP is a Mitsubishi unit and you can get an extended warranty that includes service, remote monitoring and free call outs and fix if it develops a fault. For £35 a month we are seriously considering this.
    £35 a month seems hugely expensive; about twice what I was paying for the service plan on my old unreliable oil boiler.  I'm expecting my heat pump to be a lot more reliable than that was and so far it has been.  I recommend you find a local heating engineer who can service your heat pump and who you can call out if necessary.   
    Reed
    2.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Mstty said:
    The truth is we can all state what suits our particular house, in our particular region of the country, on our particular install (designed from new or retrofit) and the time we have had control of the system.

Well we can do this but I don't see that anybody positing on this thread actually has, all the advice her looks fairly generic to me.
    Reed
  • MsttyMstty Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Yeah I'm 50/50 on the warranty as they will replace with a new unit. Not sure with all the pipework obviously in place how much a replacement unit would be if I put the £35 a month away for servicing and repairs or replacement.

As for your other comment highlighting in bold when my next paragraph said "this and other threads" seems a bit weird but then again everyone's different👍
    Energy Provider Eon Next v18 2 year fixed ends April 2024 £177.70 per month DD(Real usage is under £2000 a year). Plan is to get this sub £150(£1800) in the second year of the fix due to our energy usage reduction exercise and no extremely cold winters!
    Energy Used Electricity only. Hoping to get down to 6000 kWh a year currently estimating 6150 kWh a year in a 4 bedroom detached house EPC high B. Designed not retro-fitted ASHP Mitsubishi Ecodan, under floor heating ground floor, radiators 1st floor. Multi-fuel burner in lounge.

2.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Each to their own perceptions of weird, I guess.  I cannot evaluate the quality of the advice you received on other threads but @matelodave has had a heat pump for many years and I would rate his opinion.  I'll discount the advice I gave because I'm bound to think that is good, am I not?
    Reed
  • MsttyMstty Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Forumite
    @matelodave

Thanks for your post very informative.

Last winter was our first in the house and our first ever ASHP so I manually set the temp depending on the weather (manual compensation curve in essence).

What we did when it came to night time was have the heating for downstairs scheduled to turn off an hour before we go to bed and then start up again 2 hours before we came downstairs in the morning (effectively off for 6 hours).

In our minds that was a more efficient way of running the system or would we be best leaving it on for those 6 hours?