gas and electric use way above average

Options
ajbird
ajbird Posts: 20 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place to ask this sort of question. 

I have always thought that our energy usage was on the high side but with the recent price hikes I finally got a round to looking closely and comparing this to houses of similar sizes.

Our electric use for a year is 
12,261kWh and 
Our gas is
 34,831kWh

ie 3x average and 2x times average (for a 5 bed house as suggested usave.co.uk article about this)

While I do work from home and have 3 pcs running most of the day this is about the only difference to normal I can think of. 

How do I go about figuring out where all that power is going to? 
Is it possible there is some kind of metering issue?

(we had a smart meter with N-power but like everyone else this stopped working when we were bounced to E-on)

Any thoughts would be great.

Andy

«13456

Comments

  • ajbird
    ajbird Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    (oh yes and that is 6 grand a year of power) 
  • Benny2020
    Benny2020 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow! 12,000kwh on electricity and its not your main source of heating.
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Andy!

    You are really a heavy user it seems. Lets start with the usual suspects. Do you have fish tanks or a hot tub?

    Three PCs, do you mean laptops or desktops with external monitors? I have started checking my own work setup today myself, and two laptops were using almost 0.5 KWh in the last 5.5 hours.

    Are you constantly running your boiler? What is the temperature you set the thermostat to?

    Just a few points to get the discussion going.


  • Benny2020
    Benny2020 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With your kind of usage (£3500 a year on electricity alone) you would have a quick pay back on solar panels.
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Here are a few devices I bought for myself to analyse my usage better.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FRPLCYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Can be used to monitor your hourly usage and set yourself a budget. Needs a meter that has red LED flashing, which should be the case with a smart meter, even if it does not communicate any longer.

    To measure use of my devices I am using 

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B097YBXHTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    They are easier to use than the standalone devices like 

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HWC1XTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    and have the added advantage that you can use them to remotely switch off power, and even program a schedule. I found they are only 2£ more expensive than just remote plugs at the moment, so I got a few.

    Big disadvantage is privacy with TP-Link, seems they are phoning home quite a bit of information, so if that is a concern for you you need to find a different solution.
  • ajbird
    ajbird Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pochase said:
    Welcome to the forum Andy!

    You are really a heavy user it seems. Lets start with the usual suspects. Do you have fish tanks or a hot tub?

    Three PCs, do you mean laptops or desktops with external monitors? I have started checking my own work setup today myself, and two laptops were using almost 0.5 KWh in the last 5.5 hours.

    Are you constantly running your boiler? What is the temperature you set the thermostat to?

    Just a few points to get the discussion going.


    Thermostat set at 21C in the centre of the house 
    There is a small garden pond pump run 24/7
    Three is a headless backup server running 24/7
    1 pc with 3 screens (07:00 - midnight)
    1 pc with 2 screen (10:00 - 16:00)
    1 pc with 2 screen (17:00 - 21:30) 
    The hot water schedule is  5:30 -7:30 and 17:30-19:30. Hot water tank set to 45C
     2 under counter fridges
    2 freezers in garage (1 chest / 1 under counter)
    1 dishwasher
    1 washing machine
    1 tumble dryer 
    We cook with electric. (induction / cooker )
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 April 2022 at 2:05PM
    Options
    ajbird said:
    Our electric use for a year is 
    12,261kWh and 
    Our gas is
     34,831kWh

    ie 3x average and 2x times average (for a 5 bed house as suggested usave.co.uk article about this)

    While I do work from home and have 3 pcs running most of the day this is about the only difference to normal I can think of. 

    How do I go about figuring out where all that power is going to? 
    Is it possible there is some kind of metering issue?

    Let's start with the gas, quick and easy check, make sure your gas meter and your gas bill are using the same units...
    If you have a metric gas meter (m3) but your billing assumes it is imperial (ft3) then it will be overstated by a factor of x2.83...
    So take a close look at both and ask here if unsure.
    For the electricity, you are managing to use more than I do with 3 seriously powerful PC's running 24/7 and another couple on for a good part of the day, as well as an EV to charge from time to time...
    Do you have halogen downlighters? tropical fish tanks? ... large outdoor pond pumps/fountains? Hot tub? ...
  • ajbird
    ajbird Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Benny2020 said:
    With your kind of usage (£3500 a year on electricity alone) you would have a quick pay back on solar panels.
    exploring but we are surrounded by trees on all sides and no south facing roof .. at this rate I could build my own power station and be quids in 
  • ajbird
    ajbird Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MWT said:

    Let's start with the gas, quick and easy check, make sure your gas meter and your gas bill are using the same units...
    If you have a metric gas meter (m3) but your billing assumes it is imperial (ft3) then it will be overstated by a factor of x2.83...
    So take a close look at both and ask here if unsure.
    For the electricity, you are managing to use more than I do with 3 seriously powerful PC's running 24/7 and another couple on for a good part of the day, as well as an EV to charge from time to time...
    Do you have halogen downlighters? tropical fish tanks? ... large outdoor pond pumps/fountains? Hot tub? ...
    OK looking into the gas side of things now.. thanks

    Electric (see my other post with list of pcs etc)
    nearly all lights have been replaced with LEDs for a few years now.
    no large ticket outdoor items 
  • ajbird
    ajbird Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MWT said:

    Let's start with the gas, quick and easy check, make sure your gas meter and your gas bill are using the same units...
    If you have a metric gas meter (m3) but your billing assumes it is imperial (ft3) then it will be overstated by a factor of x2.83...

    the meter has this written on it
    Qmax 6 m3/h so I guess that is metric?

    The bill lists
    "Consumption 932.0 Units (m3 )"

    So I guess it matches?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards