Is RTS Economy 7 meter going to stop working?

Options

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    The Radio Teleswitch would lose the facility to stagger the start and finish times, but most domestic RTS consumers are on a fixed schedule that doesn't use this facility.
    I think the 7.5 minute tolerance on start/end time is a characteristic of the messaging system, so even the non-dynamic tariffs would still exhibit that
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gerry1 said:

All that would happen for most domestic consumers is that their teleswitch would behave like a rotary motorised timeswitch (silver and black disk).
    That sounds sensible.  I knew the signal carried a time signature but hadn't considered an internal clock was used.  I wonder how well they would keep time once free running?
    Probably a lot better than the clockwork ones !  Several forumites have reported that their rotary timeswitches are hours adrift.
    If a free running RTS clock drifted by a minute per year, it would be 15 years before it was out of the +/-15 minutes switching tolerance.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    @coffeehound That's just ignorant scaremongering by energy companies who should know better.  No one will end up with their "electricity meter jammed on the last rate it was on before the signal died, prevent your heating/hot water from turning on properly or leave the heating/hot water jammed on 24/7" the way that Ovo shamefully threaten.  Did this happen when Droitwich aerials suffered storm damage?  Of course not !
    Back in the nationalised days my parents' E7 timeswitch did get stuck.
    In the E7 position.
    For something like four years before SWEB realised the meter readings were unusal.
    I don't think they ever tried a catch up bill, but they did eventually fix/replace the switch!
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Gerry1
    Options
    QrizB said:
    Gerry1 said:
    @coffeehound That's just ignorant scaremongering by energy companies who should know better.  No one will end up with their "electricity meter jammed on the last rate it was on before the signal died, prevent your heating/hot water from turning on properly or leave the heating/hot water jammed on 24/7" the way that Ovo shamefully threaten.  Did this happen when Droitwich aerials suffered storm damage?  Of course not !
    In the E7 position.
    Bet it wasn't a Radio Teleswitch !
  • jrawle
    jrawle Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    All I know is that m E7 started at precisely 23:30 each night, to the second.
    This is a great article that explains how the switches work, and how the data is encoded:
    So there is a microprocessor that maintains a real time clock. However, there's no mention of a backup battery. In that case, once the signal is switched off, the timeswitches would be completely off following a power cut. (At present, the time would be corrected within a minute of power being restored.)
    While I would normally agree that the companies are all too keen to scare people into having smart meters, in this case I think the timeswitches will be useless once the signal is ended.

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    QrizB said:
    Gerry1 said:
    In the E7 position.
    Bet it wasn't a Radio Teleswitch !
    Probably not; my 40-year-ago memory says it looked a bit like this (not my photo):

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Gerry1
    Options
    jrawle said:

This is a great article that explains how the switches work, and how the data is encoded:
    As posted five hours ago...
    jrawle said:

So there is a microprocessor that maintains a real time clock. However, there's no mention of a backup battery. In that case, once the signal is switched off, the timeswitches would be completely off following a power cut. (At present, the time would be corrected within a minute of power being restored.)
    While I would normally agree that the companies are all too keen to scare people into having smart meters, in this case I think the timeswitches will be useless once the signal is ended.
    Wrong again.  My Radio Teleswitch has always remained accurate whenever Droitwich has gone off the air.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    Gerry1 said:

All that would happen for most domestic consumers is that their teleswitch would behave like a rotary motorised timeswitch (silver and black disk).
    That sounds sensible.  I knew the signal carried a time signature but hadn't considered an internal clock was used.  I wonder how well they would keep time once free running?
    Probably a lot better than the clockwork ones !  Several forumites have reported that their rotary timeswitches are hours adrift.
    If a free running RTS clock drifted by a minute per year, it would be 15 years before it was out of the +/-15 minutes switching tolerance.
    It was text from the british standard that said the switching tolerance must be +/- 7.5 mins, so is that where the 15 minute window figure comes from?  Or maybe that is in addition.  Wheels within wheels..
  • Gerry1
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    Gerry1 said:

It was text from the british standard that said the switching tolerance must be +/- 7.5 mins, so is that where the 15 minute window figure comes from?  Or maybe that is in addition.  Wheels within wheels..
    The label on my Radio Teleswitch says 'Accuracy ± 15 Minutes'.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The reality of all this though is that there will be an aggressive program of meter replacement once they do settle on a final date as even though the meters should keep running, they will effectively be in a failure mode and that will not be acceptable as a 'normal' mode of operation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback