E.on taking my m3 readings as ft3 - higher bills

Options
DJG6991
DJG6991 Posts: 11 Forumite
First Post
Hoping someone can advise on this. 

I submit my meter readings for gas monthly in m3 units.

E.on on the bill appear to be running these as ft3 united and converting them to m3 causing an increased cost in my bills. Below is what I believe to be correct (every chance I could be wrong!) vs their calculations. 

Usage: 138 m3 over 2 month period
rate: 3.8p per unit

mine:
138x39.2x1.02264/3.6 = 1536kwh = £59

Theirs:
138x2.83x1.02264x39.2/39.2 =4348.4kwh = £165

we live in a very small 2 bed house and both out working all day with heating only on 6:30-8am and 5pm-8pm and oven is electric. I’d be surprised if we used all of that in 2 months!

I have contacted them and they just keep stating “this is how it works nothing wrong” but my meter certainly shows it is displaying m3 units. 

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 March 2022 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.
    You're correct.  If you have a metric meter (recording in cubic metres, m3) then there should not be a multiplier of 2.83 in their calculation.  Follow their complaints procedure by writing to them at Customer Service Centre, E.ON, PO Box 7750, Nottingham NG1 6WR.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Send them a clear photo of the meter - Make sure it includes the meter number and the units of measure. Once it gets to the right team, they should be able to update the national database and recalculate your previous bills. How old is this gas meter, and is it a smart jobbie ?
    If they don't, eight weeks after submitting a formal complaint, you can lodge a case with the Energy Ombudsman.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • DJG6991
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the advice will send all of this over now. 

I believe This is a smart meter but doesn’t auto send the readings so I send them every month manually. 

Hadn’t even thought to check this prior and noticed it does occur on all previous bills. 

Fingers crossed I can get this sorted!
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DJG6991 said:

Fingers crossed I can get this sorted!
    Don't forget to come back and tell us how it went !
  • SHCooper
    SHCooper Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in the exact same situation, same E.on tariff too - ends at the end of April, only I've just realised my bills say hcf tonight! 

We have the same type of smart meter too, clearly says m3 on meter readings as we have to do them manually too.

I had been wondering why our estimated usage is 29,000kwh when it was previously 12,000kwh but just put it down to a mistake, not that our bills were actually treble the amount! 

I will be watching this thread for updates to see how you get on. I'm calling them tomorrow, preparing for a long wait. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long to get it sorted as I've calculated our December - april gas bill will be over £900 based on their error.
  • SHCooper
    SHCooper Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DJG6991 said:
    Hoping someone can advise on this. 

I submit my meter readings for gas monthly in m3 units.

E.on on the bill appear to be running these as ft3 united and converting them to m3 causing an increased cost in my bills. Below is what I believe to be correct (every chance I could be wrong!) vs their calculations. 

Usage: 138 m3 over 2 month period
    rate: 3.8p per unit

mine:
    138x39.2x1.02264/3.6 = 1536kwh = £59

Theirs:
    138x2.83x1.02264x39.2/39.2 =4348.4kwh = £165

we live in a very small 2 bed house and both out working all day with heating only on 6:30-8am and 5pm-8pm and oven is electric. I’d be surprised if we used all of that in 2 months!

I have contacted them and they just keep stating “this is how it works nothing wrong” but my meter certainly shows it is displaying m3 units. 

Any advice greatly appreciated!
    I called E.on today and spent an hour going round in circles with them saying as you quoted “this is how it works nothing wrong” it got very frustrating and she laughed at my husband when he said it was wrong.

Then I went on Live Chat waited an hour to speak to someone and sent pictures of my bills and smart meter with the units circled so they couldn't miss them.

The woman was very helpful and said it is wrong and asked me to send a photo of my meter then requested for it to be corrected. So I'll get a correct bill in 14 days and the money back that I overpaid which will go on my next bill.

She said that it hadn't been changed from hcf when the meter was updated so I will call round my previous suppliers (another day) to check we didn't overpay them. The woman also said E.on will check with our last supplier British gas too.

I also put a complaint in so hoping they apologise for the inconvenience and give me a credit on my bill as I had previously called them concerned over my higher than usual bill.

• DJG6991
    First Post
    Options
    Just to update: after contacting e.one complaints team, it appears similar to SHCooper in that the meter was changed and this was not logged on their system. 

I have sent them the date of the change as a photo of the yellow sticker on the meter and previous bills will also be corrected and account credit updated. 

Massive thanks to everyone for the help, with all the financial changes going on this is a big weight off my chest and one less thing to worry about. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks to both @SHCooper and @DJG6991 ; too often people don't come back to let us know the outcome!
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Kickeminballs79
    Options
    I’m in the exact same situation, Eon again just switch over to them from octopus, don’t know why!! Apparently we’ve been charged for almost a years supply gas supply over 27days !! Our metre jumped from 492-747, 8300kwh !!  so after 22 emails still no joy and get the same response back, I told them the meter is either faulty, it’s been tampered with or we have a leak, then I said if we have a leak we would smell it or there would be an explosion giving that amount of gas we’ve “apparently” used. Our normal usage is between 4-30 units a month 
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I’m in the exact same situation, Eon again just switch over to them from octopus, don’t know why!! Apparently we’ve been charged for almost a years supply gas supply over 27days !! Our metre jumped from 492-747, 8300kwh !!  so after 22 emails still no joy and get the same response back, I told them the meter is either faulty, it’s been tampered with or we have a leak, then I said if we have a leak we would smell it or there would be an explosion giving that amount of gas we’ve “apparently” used. Our normal usage is between 4-30 units a month 
    You've done the meter checks - noted the details (ft3 or m3 and serial number) from the meter itself and compared to your bill ?

Have you made a formal - written - complaint  ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure