5 hour delay due to "circumstances outside of airline's control" = no compensation?

Options

Sorry to post if this has been asked before, I expect it has but could not see exactly where.

Recently my family flew to Spain. Our flight was delayed by just under 5 hours. Instead of arriving at 8pm, we arrived at 1am. We had booked a hire car to get us to our destination about 50 miles up the coast, but the office had closed by then. So we took a taxi to a budget hotel and stayed overnight and then got a taxi back to the airport the next day. Total cost about 100 Euros.

I hoped that we would be entitled to some compensation, but got the following reply:

"I regret the delay of your flight ****** from ****** to ****** on **/**/****, which was caused due to ****** airport ground handling delays.
As this delay was unexpected, no compensation is due under EU261/2004 as this was caused due to circumstances beyond [airline's] control."

TBH I smell something of a rat, as during the 5 hours we were delayed at the airport every other flight departed on time - except for our flight, and another flight operated by the same carrier.

Anyway- is this worth pursuing any further?

Thanks to anyone who knows how these things work.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you could try putting your flight details into one of the free flight checkers such as Bottonline or EUClaim to see whether they believe there is a valid claim
  • Ray_Singh-Blue
    Options
    Thanks Caz3121 very helpful.
    EUClaim say may have a case but could not help as outside their jurisdiction.
    Bottonlin say may be entitled to compensation and can help.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback