Cancelled Everything...Help!!

Hi. I just need reassuring that I've done the right thing... Or not as the case may be.
I've cancelled my sky TV package, my broadband and talk. And basically everything.
I got fed up with being locked into an 18 month contract where if I cancel this that goes up or if I want this then I can't have that etc.
I understand I will need broadband from somewhere (the TV package I dont care about). I've got a month until the cut off date.
I've had sky for nearly 14years. I'm trying to convince myself I've done the right thing.
Any feedback of those who have done this and where to go next for cheaper deals on BB would be appreciated.

Comments

• HaroldWren5
    HaroldWren5 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 January at 8:41PM
    Hi. I just need reassuring that I've done the right thing... Or not as the case may be.
    I've cancelled my sky TV package, my broadband and talk. And basically everything.
    I got fed up with being locked into an 18 month contract where if I cancel this that goes up or if I want this then I can't have that etc.
    I understand I will need broadband from somewhere (the TV package I dont care about). I've got a month until the cut off date.
    I've had sky for nearly 14years. I'm trying to convince myself I've done the right thing.
    Any feedback of those who have done this and where to go next for cheaper deals on BB would be appreciated.
    @ImDo@"[Deleted User]"  You've done the right thing most likely. The first reaction is usually the right one. You can switch to a broadband provider with a shorter contract and with fixed prices throughout the entire contract. There are broadband providers who do 30 day rolling and 12 month contracts too. 

Also definitely worth checking if you can get FTTP (sometimes called "Ultrafast", or "Full Fibre" broadband from an Openreach/Cityfibre based internet provider). 

Regarding TV, you can still get most channels via Freeview, and any additional channels, or streaming services via your internet on rolling 30 day contracts. 
  • HaroldWren5
    HaroldWren5 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 January at 8:41PM
    P.S.   @[Deleted User] You can also probably get a Mobile SIM with Unlimited Minutes cheaper than the landline phone contract as well. 
  • I just posted in a other thread similar to this.... Basically I left 5 years ago, because of the price in that time I saved over £2,200 in DD to them. Still watched tv with less channels and choice, and if I can't find something to do I'm generally more productive as I'll get up and do something instead.

As for your broadband I won't suggest anything, apart from where I live best deal doesn't mean good connection, I know a neighbour who signed up with a different company and had nothing but poor speeds, internet drops and poor customer service... So in this area I'm happy to pay a few £ more to get something that works.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2022 at 12:10AM
    Hi. Thanks to you both for the information.

Yes, I already have a 30 day rolling mobile contract at £3.95 a month (I never used the landline as I never bothered buying a home phone as I'm at work anyway).
    Idealy I am looking for a 30 day rolling contract for broadband or a minimum of 12 months. I think this is the way forward nowdays. I found a gym membership like this where I can pause or cancel instead of the usual yearly locked in contracts, price increases and clauses to keep you under lock and key.
    My TV isn't a smart TV and neither does it have a usb port so going forward with that I'm eventually looking to upgrade it and use streaming services and no TV licence.
    Thanks again for the reassurance. I'm not clued up with new technology.
    First things first for me is getting a new broadband set up. My sky all goes off in 31 days 

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes you've done the right thing. Have a look at the cashback offers on Topcashback as well - you might find that whoever you want to go with might also give you a little back if you click through from TCB. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Good place to start is MSE's broadband comparison site https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/ (other comparison sites are available).

I'd also check with the neighbours and see who they use and how happy they are with their service.  

Good luck
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You MAY have a problem if you have cancelled the broadband. I seem to remember that a new ISP cannot place an order on a line which is in the state of cancellation until it completes .
  • Thank you all, I'll certainly will be looking around.
    The broadband gets cancelled in 30 days so I'm going to wait until everything has ended before I get a new ISP. 
    I have data allowance on my mobile, free internet at work and at the gym to use so I'm not totally cut off.
  • Yes you’ve done the right thing. We cancelled each service as it came to an end . First switched the phone and broadband, then let the adds on expire, then last thing to go was the basic tv subscription. It was all easy. We now have a recordable free sat, and Amzon, nflix and dsney, for a fraction of the cost, I think we saved £800 last year and all the hassle of periodically being held to ransom on price increases. Not once have any of those service including our broadband provider sent through spurious price increases. I don’t miss sky at all.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • I am sure we cancelled broadband before we set up anything else and asked how it worked, they basically said they would provide until the new provider takes over, whoever and whenever that may be. I don’t think I ever contacted them again about it, just instructed the new provider and I don’t remember an issue.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport