🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to claim free food to feed my guinea pigs?

Options
1235»

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Nobody seems to be aware, or even care, that guinea pigs should be eating at least 80% hay. Salad greens are good for them but should not be all that they eat. 

As per the PDSA - https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-help-and-advice/looking-after-your-pet/small-pets/your-guinea-pig-s-diet

I've kept guinea pigs in the past - they're not really a drain on expenses. (Unless you have about 20 of course.)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Groom
    Groom Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The definition of a food sharing app is "Anyone can download the free app and join the sharing community to give and receive items for free. "  So I think as long as you are prepared to give when you can and not just take, it is fine. Have you considered asking neighbours to save you their outside leave from vegetables rather than putting them in the recycling bins? 
  • skinnyliz
    Options
    I note you said a food sharing app, not a food bank. Freegle and Olio members will help if you say what items you need, this is local and designed to be neighbourly. Also maybe Nextdoor. People often have stuff they can give if you will collect, which they wouldn't take to a food bank (food banks will often only take long-life stuff) and would otherwise be thrown away.
  • walace58
    Options
    Eat the guinea pigs as you can’t afford to feed them or preferably offer them to a new home
  • Speaking for myself, my pets are important for my own wellbeing and I do not think it is bad to get free food for your guinea pigs that might otherwise be wasted.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I view it like this.  If you get some free food and give it to your guinea pig then that will save you a little bit of money to spend on food for yourself.  It won’t be much but every little helps as a supermarket says.

if I gave away food especially things like fruit and veg I would be more than happy for someone to give it to their pet.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure