Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to claim free food to feed my guinea pigs?

Options
MSE_Sarah
MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 22 February 2022 at 5:59PM in Pets & pet care
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

With the cost of living rising, including the price of food, I've been considering using a food sharing app to collect salad that's going free, then feeding it to my guinea pigs. Is it OK to do this to save money, or should I be leaving it for those who want to eat it themselves?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not being wasted so I don't see a problem with it!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £2,073.28 as of 05/24
    Pay off credit card by December 2024 - £0/£2,000
  • BeckyAM
    Options
    OF COURSE IT'S OKAY!
    The food is not being wasted, but being used by animals who need it because their owner needs the aid, so that is perfectly fine so don't feel bad about it, animals matter too.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it possible to get salad when it is too old for human consumption but still suitable for the guinea pigs?

I think the specific circumstances are needed here.  The clear priority for food banks and other such schemes is to feeding human population focusing on those most in need.  However, our local food bank has problems managing the food donations they have so every now and then the local online social media there is a post advising they have XYZ food that will go off so rather than waste the food, the preference is to let anyone take the food that can make use of it.  Not how food banks should work.
  • Louby_Lou_3
    Options
    If the food is otherwise going to waste, I don't see the problem - I can't see many people wrestling that iceberg lettuce out of your hands!!
  • missymouse
    Options
    Definitely ok. They love sald
  • Compcol
    Options
    Definitely not. The food is donated for people. If you do not need the food yourself, lots of other people do. 
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My local Food Bank supplies the need of the family - if they have no money then they have no money for toilet rolls, nappies, cat food, toothpaste, sanitary products .......................
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My local food bank actually ask for dog/cat/pet food to be donated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback