EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

Guide: What are the price cap unit rates?

in Energy
69 replies 8.6K views

Replies

• SoutieSoutie Forumite
    2 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Current EON Next quote on variable: Gas 14.76 per KwH and Electricity 51.57 per KwH.  How does that stack up with rates quoted by MSE under new "cap" of Gas 10.29 and Electricity 34.00??
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Soutie said:
    Current EON Next quote on variable: Gas 14.76 per KwH and Electricity 51.57 per KwH.  How does that stack up with rates quoted by MSE under new "cap" of Gas 10.29 and Electricity 34.00??
    Not yet updated their website ? Other Utility Cos. are starting to show the new post 0ct.1st "cap" if you look to change your tariff.
  • Soutie said:
    Cap doesn't start until 1 Oct - they don't need to be showing you the cap numbers until then.
  • ShringShring Forumite
    4 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This morning I received notification from Shell Energy about my new Economy 7 capped rates from 1st October.  The night rate electricity will go up from 18.579p to 19.922p per kWh and the day rate will go up from 33.666p to 40.703p per kWh and the standing charge per day is changing from 38.00p to 39.02p

Gas will go up from 7.344p to 10.309p per kWh and the standing charge per day is changing from 27.22p to 28.48p.

From all the media reports, I understood the electricity unit rate cap  from 1st October to be 34p per kWh and gas to be 10p per kWh

Ofgem are showing maximum capped rates of :

Electricity £0.52 per kWh

Gas 46p per kWh

ofgem.gov.uk/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you

• ShringShring Forumite
    4 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    UK Gov states :
    If you’re on a standard variable tariff

The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October.

gov.uk/government/publications/energy-bills-support/energy-bills-support-factsheet-8-september-2022

It appears that these rates have changed, according to Ofgem and the latest rate news from Shell.

• edited 22 September 2022 at 8:28AM
    ApodemusApodemus Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 22 September 2022 at 8:28AM
    Are you confusing different terms:  Average, Maximum and your actual rate - which is above the average, but below the maximum.?
  • Shring said:
    This morning I received notification from Shell Energy about my new Economy 7 capped rates from 1st October.  The night rate electricity will go up from 18.579p to 19.922p per kWh and the day rate will go up from 33.666p to 40.703p per kWh and the standing charge per day is changing from 38.00p to 39.02p

Gas will go up from 7.344p to 10.309p per kWh and the standing charge per day is changing from 27.22p to 28.48p.

From all the media reports, I understood the electricity unit rate cap  from 1st October to be 34p per kWh and gas to be 10p per kWh

Gas 46p per kWh

You’re comparing the average single-rate cap to your specific regional E7 rate.  That just doesn’t work.

Your new rates look normal.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    29.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The OFGEM rates you have quoted are the old price cap which has been replaced by the price guarantee. 
    The new prices for gas are around 10.4p and electric around 34p for single rate, you are on a dual rate which is more complex and not limited by that 34p.

• edited 22 September 2022 at 9:39AM
    MWTMWT Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 September 2022 at 9:39AM
    Shring said:

Based on those numbers, I'd guess you were in the Eastern region, and they are entirely consistent with the cap for E7 electricity + gas paid by DD.
    As ever you just have to get used to the fact that there isn't just one cap, there are many, with different answers for each region, metering type and payment method.
  • pensionpawnpensionpawn Forumite
    826 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Shring said:

Gas 46p per kWh

Blimey! Although compared to my email yesterday your day rate is plus 0.254p and your night rate is plus 1.06p, your standing charge is -5.48! Your gas unit rate is -0.148, s/c the same. Some interesting calculations have happened there.