We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Top Fixed Interest Savings Discussion Area

1…349350352354355…422

Comments

  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I wish they'd stop playing silly beggars with that FirstSave fix - I had already opened a Ford fix and hadn't fully funded yet and the deadline was approaching, awaiting another fix maturing.  Got the money mid-morning, decided to split it and get the First Save one too - to give me the longevity of 3 years - but it had been withdrawn, so I put it all with Ford and it's bimbled back available a couple of times during today.  Too late now.  I wasn't overly worried about the small difference in interest, it was the security of that rate for 3 years I would have liked.
  • southone
    southone Posts: 199 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    BooJewels said:
    I wish they'd stop playing silly beggars with that FirstSave fix - I had already opened a Ford fix and hadn't fully funded yet and the deadline was approaching, awaiting another fix maturing.  Got the money mid-morning, decided to split it and get the First Save one too - to give me the longevity of 3 years - but it had been withdrawn, so I put it all with Ford and it's bimbled back available a couple of times during today.  Too late now.  I wasn't overly worried about the small difference in interest, it was the security of that rate for 3 years I would have liked.

    I think they're just controlling numbers and not getting themselves bogged down with too many people signing up for the account so they can't handle it
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    southone said:
    BooJewels said:
    I wish they'd stop playing silly beggars with that FirstSave fix - I had already opened a Ford fix and hadn't fully funded yet and the deadline was approaching, awaiting another fix maturing.  Got the money mid-morning, decided to split it and get the First Save one too - to give me the longevity of 3 years - but it had been withdrawn, so I put it all with Ford and it's bimbled back available a couple of times during today.  Too late now.  I wasn't overly worried about the small difference in interest, it was the security of that rate for 3 years I would have liked.

    I think they're just controlling numbers and not getting themselves bogged down with too many people signing up for the account so they can't handle it
    I get that, but it didn't help me personally with the timing etc.  I'm already a FirstSave customer, so it would have suited me nicely and I've missed out.  If I thought it might come back, I would have hung on a bit longer.
  • I managed to sign up this morning for the 3 year bond. I'm very happy with the rate
  • jaypers
    jaypers Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    I managed to sign up this morning for the 3 year bond. I'm very happy with the rate
    None are working currently.
  • jaypers said:
    I managed to sign up this morning for the 3 year bond. I'm very happy with the rate
    None are working currently.
    I tried over the last couple of days and I managed to get hold of the rate @ 06.30 this morning 
  • pw23
    pw23 Posts: 85 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Could someone please tell me, what is the current best interest rate and company for a 12 or 18 month saver account? I've tried scrolling through of chat but can't find it

    I have £13k to test
  • pw23
    pw23 Posts: 85 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    thanks for sharing, looking at the results for an 18 month fixed account. Metrobank is number one at 5.8%, but don’t you think it would be risky (and losing the interest earned) due to all of the media attention about the sustainability, especially in 18 months time.
    I know my money would be protected by the FCS, but assume it would be a very long drawn out procedure in order to get my money back (investing £13k)

    if this is the case, would you then opt to go for the lower rate at Union Bank 5.7%, but with more certainty in the Bank remaining solvent for the 18 months?
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 7,014 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2023 at 1:35PM
    The FSCS pay interest earned upto the 85k maximum .You are incorrect to assume a long drawn out process, in the case of failure. They aim to sort things within a couple of weeks.

    I remember the Icelandic debacle a good few years ago. I had deposits in those banks. But I don't remember worrying about it!

    But if you feel more comfortable with Union Bank, then go for that. I'm sure you will have fully investigated their current viability status?
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.