Money-shuffling towards mortgage freedom

MeandO
MeandO Posts: 2,862
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
edited 1 February 2022 at 10:49PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hello, I’ve been a member on the DFW boards for a long time having cleared any major debt some years ago. I’m a single mum to my wonderful DS and work part time, now WFH. 
I’ve been overpaying my mortgage for a few years but the past five years have dealt me some horrendous bad luck with first one, then a second house after surveys missed major structural issues on the first and then new build quality on the second was dire. (No prizes for guessing the name of the new build cowboys developers who built the 2nd one but I’ll give you a clue - it starts with a P and ends in ‘ersimmon’). Never. Again. 
We went from an old house, to brand new and am back to old again after finally selling the overpriced cardboard box last year and buying the best of a bad bunch on the market at the time which, in the words of the estate agent it ‘needed a bit of work.’ Turns out that was an understatement, but I’m hoping we’re nearing the end of the renovations now. So is my bank balance.
The mortgage has gone up and down over the last few years due to moving several times and, more recently, remortgaging to cover the cost of escalating work needed, but am determined to get rid of it as quickly as I can now. I’ve cleared £1000 off the mortgage in the past 3 weeks, so have made an overpayment of around £600. This won’t be sustainable long term unfortunately due to being on a P/T salary and being the only adult in the house, but am aiming to overpay by a minimum of £150 a month, hopefully a lot more.

A link to my old diary with the why’s, where’s and you wouldn’t believe it if I told you’s in full detail can be found here:

Hopefully we’re on the up whilst the mortgage is on the way down. 

M x

Mortgage @ 03/2019: £107K, Now: £67,900
Mortgage OP's 2024: £404.86/£2000 Total OP’s: £8615.42
SAVINGS: EF: £5671.62/£15,000

Comments

• Will be cheering you along the way. Your doing a great job single handed xx
    2024 Decluttering 1451 ⭐️
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    Thank you Mrs_Money_Penny.  :)
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    edited 2 February 2022 at 6:34PM
    I’m quite pleased with progress today. I made the icing figures and lettering this morning to go on DS’s cake. Doesn’t sound like much work, but took me flipping ages! They’re now drying but will save me loads of time next week when I have just one day to make the cake from start to finish (It’s a birthday tradition he loves that I make him a super-cool cake every year 😊). 
    I wrapped two more birthday gifts I’d forgotten about and then even managed to have half an hour of reading my book with a cuppa. 
    This afternoon, just as I was going out for the school run, the two bulk bags of stone turned up for the front garden. I’m so grateful to the delivery guy as he craned the bags right over where I needed them and just slit the bottom for me, dropping most of the stone near enough in the right location. :) Saying that, I’ve spent an hour and a half shovelling, shifting and spreading £207 worth of stone around the front garden this evening and now my back’s in half. I got it all finished though in time to cook tea for DS. 
    Tea tonight was a batch-cooked Chinese chicken curry. Not the best recipe, but was healthy as was full of veg and budget-friendly. 
    Two refunds from the big A maz on have hit the bank account today so I’ve updated YNAB. My next goal will be to find or make and extra £99 to round the mortgage down a bit more. I like to tidy up the numbers ;) 
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    Another £10 op sent to the mortgage :) 
  • Every little helps. Enjoy your time at your parents but do try to get some rest though xx
    2024 Decluttering 1451 ⭐️
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    Thank you Mrs_Money_Penny xx 

We’re back home now, was lovely to see our family and is always difficult to leave. 😢 
    I’ve finally caught up with myself on YNAB this morning. There have been lots of spends lately, mainly on DS’s and OH’s birthdays but they’re worth it. ❤️❤️ The gifts account is now empty though so I need to start building that up again for next Christmas. 
    I’ve ordered the new front door for the house today (a planned spend) using some of the remortgage money. Only a £60 deposit so far, but the total price fitted is £1689. I’ve shopped around and been to several different local companies and unfortunately the one I wanted to use didn’t get back to me despite chasing them twice and I’m done with chasing and waiting for people tbh. It’s a shame as they fitted a door in a different house for me and were lovely so I would have liked to use them. The company I have gone with are coming out to measure up on Friday. 
    I’ve sent another little £10 op to the mortgage today so it’s now down to £78,970 - I’d be happy if I can knock that £70 off before next payday. 
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    I've returned two A Maz On parcels today, one gift for OH which wasn't suitable when it arrived and one pack of themed birthday decorations I bought to decorate the house for DS's birthday, only there was no 'I' on the birthday banner! It should be around £55 once refunded, £15 on the credit card, £40 to the bank account. 

I've also requested a payout from TCB of just under £7. I'll top it up to £10 and make another little mortgage op when it arrives. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family