Money Moral Dilemma: Should we pay for my fiancee's family's accommodation at our wedding?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 1 February 2022 at 5:19PM in Weddings & anniversaries
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Our wedding venue has eight rooms to stay in, three of which are being used by my fiancee and I, and our parents. We've offered the remaining five to my fiancee's family as they have the furthest to travel. My family's quite large, so we're paying more for all of them to attend the wedding - should we also pay for accommodation for my fiancee's family to 'even things up'?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Androo_2
    Options
    I'd say no, save the money for your honeymoon, your house deposit, whatever.... Weddings are expensive enough without finding reasons to spend more money!
  • Matt8888
    Options
    No. I barely even follow the logic to be honest.
  • mfcgibbs
    Options
    Are the rooms included as part of the venue hire? If so, I would personally not ask for money for them, as it’s part of the venue fee I’d have budgeted for. 

If they are not included as part of your venue fee, and your wedding is in this country, my personal opinion is not to pay for them - allow family to pay if they want to stay there - but also don’t expect them to if there are cheaper places nearby. 

If the wedding is abroad, my opinion is that you should pay for them for family as people will have already spent £££ just getting there to be there for you.

Hope this is useful!
  • mfcgibbs
    Options
    mfcgibbs said:
    Are the rooms included as part of the venue hire? If so, I would personally not ask for money for them, as it’s part of the venue fee I’d have budgeted for. 

If they are not included as part of your venue fee, and your wedding is in this country, my personal opinion is not to pay for them - allow family to pay if they want to stay there - but also don’t expect them to if there are cheaper places nearby. 

If the wedding is abroad, my opinion is that you should pay for them for family as people will have already spent £££ just getting there to be there for you.

Hope this is useful!
    By the way - this was irrespective of ‘evening things up’ - things don’t need to be even at a wedding and they rarely are - it doesn’t matter.
  • keithyno.1
    keithyno.1 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 February 2022 at 2:59AM
    Options
    If you can afford it, then sure. If you can’t, don’t. It’s as simple as that, really.
  • CapeTown
    CapeTown Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Simple answer is no. Not even a moral dilemma. 
  • Coletteem
    Options
    When my husband and I got married 6 years ago, we chose a venue that included the hotel rooms in with the total price, because we didn’t want anyone to be out of pocket for us. We paid for everything ourselves and saved until we had enough money to have the Wedding we wanted. Why should people be out of pocket because you choose to get married? We even said that their presence was our present so didn’t do a present list. Some people have to take a day or two off work, buy new clothes, get their hair done, pay for travel etc so we didn’t want then having any additional costs, so it was lovely to say that their accommodation and breakfast was included. I just think it’s the right thing to do. 
  • L'il_sis
    Options
    Wedding decisions should not be based on evening up. This is your special
    day and you choose who to invite, your budget etc. I have 6 siblings whereas my husband has one brother so our wedding was never going to be “even”. I personally don’t think you should feel any obligation to pay for guest accommodation unless there is a real
    financial challenge for those family members. Good luck and enjoy your special day 
  • newpuppy
    newpuppy Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Coletteem said:
    When my husband and I got married 6 years ago, we chose a venue that included the hotel rooms in with the total price, because we didn’t want anyone to be out of pocket for us. We paid for everything ourselves and saved until we had enough money to have the Wedding we wanted. Why should people be out of pocket because you choose to get married? We even said that their presence was our present so didn’t do a present list. Some people have to take a day or two off work, buy new clothes, get their hair done, pay for travel etc so we didn’t want then having any additional costs, so it was lovely to say that their accommodation and breakfast was included. I just think it’s the right thing to do. 
    What a breath of fresh air!  What, to the bride, promises to be a dream come true can be a nightmare for guests, who actually don't want to take time off work, spend a fortune on presents and getting kitted out, the travel, kennelling the dogs, childcare - and maybe don't even want to be there.  The arrival of a wedding invitation shouldn't mean hassle for the guests.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Whatever happened to getting married at a local church or Register office and having your reception at a nearby location without requirement for an overnight stay?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback