Red Light offence

Options
Was coming back from Leicester the other night after the football and in my eagerness to get home I made an unwise decision to "go" as the lights were on Amber and the light was definitely red by the time I crossed the line. Unfortunately for me I was spotted by a police patrol car.

He stopped me a bit further down the road, he asked me if I knew why he had stopped me and I said "yes". Checked the car details, driving licence etc - all check out ok. No argument from me - the policeman treated me fairly and even joked "maybe you'll get three points even if Leicester didn't"

Wrote me a ticket and today I received a £50 fine through the post - no mention of any points. I've paid the fine and that would appear to be that.

Question is - does this count as an endorsement - for insurance renewals etc?

Comments

• DB1904
    DB1904 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Was coming back from Leicester the other night after the football and in my eagerness to get home I made an unwise decision to "go" as the lights were on Amber and the light was definitely red by the time I crossed the line. Unfortunately for me I was spotted by a police patrol car.

He stopped me a bit further down the road, he asked me if I knew why he had stopped me and I said "yes". Checked the car details, driving licence etc - all check out ok. No argument from me - the policeman treated me fairly and even joked "maybe you'll get three points even if Leicester didn't"

Wrote me a ticket and today I received a £50 fine through the post - no mention of any points. I've paid the fine and that would appear to be that.

Red lights are endorsable three points and £100.

A £50 ticket is for a non endorsable offence so what is the offence wording on it?
  • mr_stripey
    Options
    DB1904 said:

A £50 ticket is for a non endorsable offence so what is the offence wording on it?
    It says:

CONDITIONAL OFFER OF FIXED PENALTY
    ALLEGED OFFENCE: Motor vehicle fail to comply with a non endorsable traffic sign - detected by means other than ACD

Comply with Conditional offer by paying £50.00 without the need for court proceedings

• Ditzy_Mitzy
    Ditzy_Mitzy Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 January 2022 at 2:15PM
    Options
    DB1904 said:

It says:

ALLEGED OFFENCE: Motor vehicle fail to comply with a non endorsable traffic sign - detected by means other than ACD

Comply with Conditional offer by paying £50.00 without the need for court proceedings

It appears that the police officer may have made an 'administrative error' and issued the wrong sort of ticket.  They generally have two ticket books, and it's easy to take a penalty notice from the wrong one.  Given that the police are busy, it would be unwise to waste their time by querying or complaining about the error; instead you should do your public duty and pay it.  That would be the end of the matter, as no penalty points will be applied.  
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like they've made a mistake and sent you the wrong fixed penalty. The one you should have been sent would be for £100 and carries a 3 point endorsement. The one you've actually been sent is for £50 and carries no endorsement - so doesn't get recorded by the DVLA and doesn't need declaring to your insurance company etc. 

I suppose there's an outside chance that someone might notice and try to correct the error at some point, but for the time being I'd be inclined to pay it quietly and buy a lottery ticket - it's obviously your lucky day. 
  • mr_stripey
    Options
    DB1904 said:

It says:

It appears that the police officer may have made an 'administrative error' and issued the wrong sort of ticket.  They generally have two ticket books, and it's easy to take a penalty notice from the wrong one.  Given that the police are busy, it would be unwise to waste their time by querying or complaining about the error; instead you should do your public duty and pay it.  That would be the end of the matter, as no penalty points will be applied.  
    I've already paid it. I wasn't even thinking of querying it. 

The officer said to me that they don't decide what happens, they write the ticket and then someone will look at it and look at my previous driving record (30 years, no points ever) and I may get either a) a warning b) a fine c) points or d) offer of a awareness course.

Anyhow, a £50 fine is at the lower end of what I was expecting, so I am happy to accept that as my punishment.

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DB1904 said:

It says:

I've already paid it. I wasn't even thinking of querying it. 

The officer said to me that they don't decide what happens, they write the ticket and then someone will look at it and look at my previous driving record (30 years, no points ever) and I may get either a) a warning b) a fine c) points or d) offer of a awareness course.

Anyhow, a £50 fine is at the lower end of what I was expecting, so I am happy to accept that as my punishment.

The officer was wrong. The options normally are 1) offer of fixed penalty (£100 and 3 points), 2) offer of an awareness course, or 3) court action. I've never heard of anyone receiving a warning through that process.

If you already have 9 points or more you won't be offered an FP, and you won't be offered a course if you've done the same course in the previous three years. AFAIK your previous record has no effect otherwise.
  • TooManyPoints
    Options
    Keep the paperwork which shows the offence details and check your driving licence record online in two or three weeks' time just to ensure it has not been "upgraded." It shouldn't be and you'd have a strong argument if it was, but best to check.
  • DB1904
    DB1904 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Keep the paperwork which shows the offence details and check your driving licence record online in two or three weeks' time just to ensure it has not been "upgraded." It shouldn't be and you'd have a strong argument if it was, but best to check.
    How can they "upgrade" and endorse is the licence isn't surrendered?
  • mr_stripey
    Options
    Thanks. Didn't even know you could check your driving license online! Will keep an eye on it 
  • TooManyPoints
    Options
    How can they "upgrade" and endorse is the licence isn't surrendered?
    They can't. But they have his DL number and stranger things have happened.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback