Alexa - tell me some top tips

in Techie Stuff
45 replies 5.9K views
MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Senior Ambassador
10.9K Posts
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
We're very late to the Alexa party, but we needed to replace our music box so bought a Sonos smart speaker and an extra one. We normally listen to the radio or music downloaded onto an iPod. Any useful insights into what magic tricks Alexa can perform? We're getting to grips with it, although we did chose a day when Alexa wasn't playing for people all over the UK, so when she doesn't respond as we expect we don't know if it's us or her! Any useful phrases us Old Pharts may not have thought of?
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Replies

• MSE_JamesMSE_James Community Admin
    324 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    ✭✭
    "Alexa, will I need an umbrella today?"

Also useful for converting metric/imperial measurements and temperatures, and currency conversion etc 
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to [email protected]
  • flaneurs_lobsterflaneurs_lobster Forumite
    733 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    "Alexa, set timer for 15 minutes" - useful for lateral flow tests
  • MSE_Laura_FMSE_Laura_F Community Admin
    598 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    "Alexa, what's free from Audible?" to hear a list of free audiobooks you can stream.
  • MX5huggyMX5huggy Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    “Alexa will you marry me?” 😂
  • kimwpkimwp Forumite
    917 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    "Alexa, set timer for 15 minutes" - useful for lateral flow tests
    Second this. Also good for timing food in the oven and waking you up from a nap 😴
  • edited 21 January at 4:20PM
    cx6cx6 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 21 January at 4:20PM
    Alexa, if I am 30 now and plan to retire at 70, how much will you have cost me over that time? Please include financial cost and the cost of losing the ability to think for myself.

• edited 21 January at 4:29PM
    RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 January at 4:29PM
    cx6 said:
    Alexa, if I am 30 now and plan to retire at 70, how much will you have cost me over that time? Please include financial cost and the cost of losing the ability to think for myself.

Ah, you are one of those that can make things happen just by thinking about them....They used to cure that with a burning at the stake...

OP.. Alexa, play the latest [artist name] [album/song]

Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Senior Ambassador
    10.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cx6 said:

I'll get her to remind me how many days till I get my state pension! (Finally got the letter and applied on line. Very modern, me)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Le_KirkLe_Kirk Forumite
    17.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combined with Smart plugs and programming a routine, I use my key phrase to tell her I am going to bed and she turns the lights off sequentially giving me just enough time to get upstairs.  On Friday when I go out, I have written another routine with a key phrase for Mrs Le_Kirk to use that turns off a couple of lights and leaves enough on for me to see when I come home.  I thought it would be good to use her for help with the general knowledge crossword at the week-end (only the answers to clues we cannot work out) but I am tired of hearing "I am sorry, I don't know that".
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alexa sends out email tips every couple of weeks .