My dad passed suddenly, I would be ever so grateful if anyone can help with any advice

Replies

• katies_mumkaties_mum Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Great, thank you
  • cwtchcwtch Forumite
    3 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My brother in law passed away recently and I’m helping my sister in law to try and sort things out. The comments and advice here have been very useful but there is one significant difference here. In this case all the bills were paid by DD from a sole account in my brother in law’s name. What happens now? When I inform the bank will they freeze everything. Will new DDds and utility accounts have to be set up for everything or will they allow the utilities etc to continue being paid?
  • FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    cwtch said:
    My brother in law passed away recently and I’m helping my sister in law to try and sort things out. The comments and advice here have been very useful but there is one significant difference here. In this case all the bills were paid by DD from a sole account in my brother in law’s name. What happens now? When I inform the bank will they freeze everything. Will new DDds and utility accounts have to be set up for everything or will they allow the utilities etc to continue being paid?
    my understanding is that the account when frozen won't pay out any DDs - they will be rejected, the bereavement teams at the utilities should be aware of this and give advice. I was told by one of them that I didn't have to pay them until I got probate (not really relevant in your case as there was no surviving spouse). 
    I expect you will have to change them to SIL's account - though the companies should be fairly patient over this 
  • SuffolksueSuffolksue Forumite
    1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Tell us Once was a great service and my DH State pension and Attendance Allowance stopped immediately.
    Our local council is known for its inefficientcy,but the next council tax DD was reduced to reflect my single occupancy discount and was quickly followed by a revised bill 
    2.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi, hope you are all having a lovely day, just thought I would give you a little update after all your helpful advice.  

The bank account is sorted (even though mum has still not received notification).  United Utilities have some of the most wonderful staff and they can have 5*`s from us. Saga, were very helpful, one of the life insurance companies again has been so efficient, the others not so much so, same with Prudential...had read how amazing they are!! Tell us once...each part seems to have registered dads death but the DVLA have been the quickest in their contact.   As you all said just plod on nice and slow which I am doing....just waiting for replies/forms or whatever they send out.

Worst and most awful company was RAC, their attitude and everything about them left a really bad taste...not a nice company at all.

Task today is Council tax!

Also I was wondering if anyone had applied or had anything to do with Pension Credit,  I have used one of the checkers and it seems to think mum would be eligible. Wondering if I should be helping her apply now or waiting until the life insurance has paid out.  Its not a lot she is expecting but could take her savings to slightly over £10,000 (not sure how much over) and it seems that £10,000 is the magic figure...after that, the amount you get is reduced slightly.  As we don`t know exactly how much she will end up with in the bank wouldn`t like it to cause problems for her.  Any advice as always would be gratefully appreciated.

I got 7 copies of the DC, as of yet companies have asked for information off it, and one has asked just for a photocopy but no one has wanted to see one!

Thanks again, really appreciate all your help x

• FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Worth letting some of the companies have feedback (in a few months when you are up to it) - the RAC should do better, it doesn't take that much effort,  UU have generally been good for other things, good to hear that they handled this OK too. 
    I came away from the whole process amazed by the quality of staff in the bereavement teams, they really were the best - why isn't the rest of some of these companies the same??
  • thegreenonethegreenone Forumite
    644 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think it best to wait as your Mum will/should get a widow's pension top-up as well, which may take her over the limit.  My late Mum received PC until my step-father died and she received his pensions and WP top up.  The PC reduced to 9p a week!  She agreed to stop it.  Mum didn't pay any Council Tax when she was on PC.

Also have a look at Attendance Allowance.  If you will be helping Mum with some day-to-day including finances, she should be eligible.  AgeUK were brilliant with form filling help for Mum.
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The bereavement teams do seem to be really good.  Excluding RAC & AA.  I think that is because people are already upset when they call so they are not averse to writing what they think quite strongly, whereas people just complaining have lots of things going on in their lives so they let things drop more easily. So the simple act of having a better bereavement team can be good for their overall reputation.
    2.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you thegreenone, could you tell me how we find out if mum will get a widow`s pension top up, is this something that is just paid to her or would she have to apply and who should she contact?   I appreciate the info about the Council tax if you are awarded Pension credit.

She does get attendance allowance, I helped her apply for that in October last year.
  • thegreenonethegreenone Forumite
    644 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You have done the Tell Us Once so The DWP should apply it (can't remember exactly).  Otherwise, give them a call - they will need NI numbers.