My dad passed suddenly, I would be ever so grateful if anyone can help with any advice

Replies

• badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm concerned because there is a large deduction & if it is a full start of year bill there is a reason for that & you need to know what it is.  If it is about pension credit you really need to know.  Probably nothing but it is in the nature of a watch your back for things coming out of the woodwork. 
  • katies_mumkaties_mum Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you.  Was going to ring Sefton Council and see if they can tell me and see what if any reductions mum might get.  I think she could be eligible for pension credit but wasn`t sure when she should apply for that as her true income won`t be known until we hear if she is going to get any monthly payments from dads small private Prudential Pensions.  Didn`t want them to say she was eligible and then after everything is sorted say no she isn`t.

If dad was getting pension credit would it be paid as one payment added together with his Gov Pension or is it a separate transaction?   thank you 
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    With the council tax I would have assumed that the amount at the top is the amount for 21/22 the large deduction would be what had been paid to date, but if he paid upfront then no idea. Definitely ring them to enquire what the breakdown is because you definitely shouldn't owe anything if he paid in full. 
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
    2.3K Posts
    Forumite
    His bill says :  Account balance £538.94 which I know he has paid in full.  The Charge for the period was £2043.49 and the difference being the reductions, one was £77.05 and the other was £1426.50.   Hopefully someone will be able to explain it to me then I can get it sorted for mum ready for the bill due in April.
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am sure pension credit is paid separately.  Plus it would entitle them to a reduction in the council tax bill.
  • NeverTooLateNeverTooLate Forumite
    185 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I know you probably don't want another thing to add to your 'to do' list at the moment, but when you've got through the worst of it and given you that said that your Mum doesn't have much of a clue about the finances, I would look at getting a financial Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) sorted out for her.
    You can be the attorney then you'll find it easier to help her with her bank accounts, bills etc going forward.
    2.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you NeverTooLate, it is something that is in the process of getting sorted, forms have been filled out online so far, they need printing off and signing and witnessing.  I know they are taking 20`ish weeks to process x

Been searching the Sefton Council Website and they seem to have conveniently hidden the phone number for `Council Tax Dep`, I am a girl on a mission so will keep looking as I am determined to get this sorted.

Spoke to Barclays bank this morning, the guy was so lovely and helpful.  Some info needs scanning and sending off (my technical helper will do that for me when she gets in from work)   I was scared stiff as it was the first call I have been brave enough to make but feel that I can do the rest now. 
  • BooJewelsBooJewels Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I found it easier to just approach the calls and paperwork as a practical administrative task that needed doing and actually found it helped to be doing something.  If you can separate the emotion from the clerical side of it, it makes it easier.  There are stupid things that catch you though - like the first time I ordered flowers from a florist to send to someone and started saying what was to go on the card and said my husband's name out of habit.

The bereavement team type personnel seem to be very good at balancing sensitivity with practicality and they do ease you through it and get the task done.  But now you've started and that's the hardest bit.
    2.3K Posts
    Forumite
    I have definitely managed a few ticks on my to do list.  As well as speaking to Barclays, the info they needed has been scanned and sent off.  I have filled out the online form from the Prudential in respect of his pensions and I have submitted the Tell us once form online.  I feel so much better now I have made a start.   As advised by you all I have made notes for everything I have done.

Hope you all have a lovely evening .
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    https://www.sefton.gov.uk/miscellaneous-pages/contact-the-council

You could try the general number here, they also offer webchat, but there may be long waits and they clearly want you to use online methods and forms wherever possible ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind