We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage free in Forever Home :-)

1…662663665667668…736

Comments

  • I've also been cooking bulk meals to try and minimise spends next week. Soups and dinners. We can do this 💪🏻. 
    Well done on a productive day.
    Emergency Fund - £1000 
    Baby cash emergency fund £120/250 
    Mortgage OP goal 2026 - £1200/£4500 
    Groceries October £ 0/500

  • I've got an old thermos flask that belongs to one of the kids that I use for work. It's a smaller one and perfect for soup sized portions. 
    Emergency Fund - £1000 
    Baby cash emergency fund £120/250 
    Mortgage OP goal 2026 - £1200/£4500 
    Groceries October £ 0/500

  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've got an old thermos flask that belongs to one of the kids that I use for work. It's a smaller one and perfect for soup sized portions. 
    I have one of these but … I already use it every day for my overnight oats that I have for breakfast in work 🤷‍♀️😉😊

    KK
    As at 26.09.26:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
    - OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
    c. 17 months reduction in term
    Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030

    Read 70 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 1st October. 
    Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026

    Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
    Watch your words, they become your actions. 
    Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • Just a thought, could you freeze a portion of your soup and take it in frozen?  It might thaw out a bit on the way but not as dangerous as transporting it in liquid form.  I've got some of the square plastic containers from L@keland which seem to be leakproof but would hate to drop it, and I've also got a soup mug/bowl type thing with the clips on the side but I wouldn't trust it in the car.

    I've also got small kilner's for oats, really handy.  I use the large ones for layered salads as I can bulk make them and  they last for about 4 days as long as any liquid/tomatoes etc. go in first.  Definitely soup weather now though.
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • I absolutely empathise on letting the food budget slip when everything else is going haywire - it's one of the easiest things to just accidentally go over on.

    If the cat's stuff is really sporadic would it be worth giving her her own budget so that it doesn't distort your food shop?
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £224,460.73
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: CLEARED July 2025
    Unread owned books Jan 2026: 256
    Undone crafts 2026: +1
  • If you take it in frozen you can use works electric to reheat 🤣🤣
    Sealed pot challenge 822

    Jan - £176.66 :j
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.