We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage free in Forever Home :-)

1…9798100102103…736

Comments

  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I tried to throw away/compost a brassica plug and a pepper plug at the weekend but just couldn’t so I totally understand the difficulty pulling up strawberry runners. I’ve just pulled a handful off for my breakfast and can never quite get over the taste difference vs the supermarket. 

    I don’t think there is a right approach either, just things to weigh up as best as you can with what you know! 
    Follow here for the daily life of an ADHD mum with 2 children and a new mortgage to pay

    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6570879/life-in-our-forever-family-home-and-the-mortgage-that-came-with-it#latest
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 10,810 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I tried to throw away/compost a brassica plug and a pepper plug at the weekend but just couldn’t so I totally understand the difficulty pulling up strawberry runners. I’ve just pulled a handful off for my breakfast and can never quite get over the taste difference vs the supermarket. 

    I don’t think there is a right approach either, just things to weigh up as best as you can with what you know! 
    Mr KK thinks I am BRUTAL because I rip out *dead* plants …. 😂

    Thank you for understanding. It is what it is I guess 🤷‍♀️

    OP of £8.98 sent off just now, made up of QM33, TCB and a TT of our joint account 😊

    KK
    As at 26.09.26:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
    - OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
    c. 17 months reduction in term
    Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030

    Read 70 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 1st October. 
    Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026

    Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
    Watch your words, they become your actions. 
    Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 18,846 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Oob, that's an excellent idea! I often look in despair at our pipes (but don't bother doing anything about it 🙄) maybe this is the answer 😂
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I do it with baby wipes (post make-up removal) and the top of my toilet cistern, which is the most unbelievable dust trap!

    Would rather it just didn't get dusty though 🙄!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

    Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 10,810 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Here’s a thing ….
    Been rung today by a recruiter about a directorship. It’s c. £15 to £20K more than I’m on atm but it’s not local. That would mean nights away and travel. Not sure if I could face that, but the extra ££ (c. £1K pcm after tax) would really help knock a hole in our mortgage….

    KK
    As at 26.09.26:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
    - OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
    c. 17 months reduction in term
    Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030

    Read 70 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 1st October. 
    Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026

    Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
    Watch your words, they become your actions. 
    Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,139 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Sounds like a very nice payrise Kajikita.  Would the nights away and travel be fully funded?  How much disruption would it cause to your current life, and would you just be too exhausted at the weekends to enjoy them?  Just playing devil's advocate.  Quite a few years ago I took a couple of steps up and I think I spent all the extra wages on ready meals as I was never home enough to go shopping or cook.  I was also just exhausted, so my enjoyment in life wasn't just zero it was -10.  Mind you that was a job from hell, and there was a lot going on at home, including having to do school runs etc.  Do think about it though.
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 22 June 2023 at 11:58PM
    I'm another playing devils advocate.

    With the possible new job would you be able to do a compacted week so you were away for less nights?

    OH worked a compacted week full time, he was away from home 3 days and 2 nights it worked well for us for over a decade.

    Also consider being a part time lodger if you need to be in the same area regularly.

    Whatever you decide it is a compliment to have been approached 👏

    Fashion on a ration 2025 0/66 coupons spent
    79.5 coupons rolled over 4/75.5 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

    One
     income, home educating family 
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 18,846 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    How nice to have been approached, well done! 😊😊 Yes, I suppose it depends how much of that £1k would go on travel, hotels, and buying stuff to cope with the extra stress - maybe do a rough calculation and see if the extra £700, or £500, or £300 would be enough of an incentive...
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.