What have you found in the pockets and compartments of charity shop purchases?

On the back of chirpycheaps's comment about the used plasters and old tissues they found in a handbag they bought from a charity shop, I wondered:

What sort of things have you found in the pockets and compartments of things you've bought from a charity shop? Or inside things you've received as a hand-me-down?

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,481
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Quite recently a disposable face covering in some trousers!

• I brought a small sofa for a space I had in my sitting room which has now been occupied by the dogs!!! 
    When I was cleaning it down the back of it I found £6.70 in change. Totally expected nothing other than crumbs and fluff so this was quite a change pardon the pun:)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I found 1 x £10 note and 1 x £20 note in the pocket of a coat I was trying on.

I bought the coat and slipped the £30 into the collecting tin on the counter.

Lots of jackets & coats seem to have tissues in the pocket.

I bought a sheepskin coat from a charity shop and it had a complimentary brush with the name of the company (Nurseys) on it.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 805
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I helped in one for a while pricing clothes and found a tenner twice. Put in the tin, obviously. What's weird is that the shop was a cancer research 'superstore' - where all the stock was £1/2/3 etc and mostly items that hadn't sold in other shops at a normal price. So those tenners had managed to not be found by the person who priced it initially, or any shoppers! 
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I volunteered in a charity shop for many years. We used to find hankies, sealed (thankfully) condoms, hair grips, plasters, coins, appointment cards, pills  etc.

As a customer elsewhere in more recent years I bought a backpack for £3 and in one of the many pockets found £10 note.  
  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 376
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I bought a kids "shopping game" from a nearly new sale and some of the money was real.

And not quite the same but I had a second hand Lada (honestly, if they had charity shops for cars it would have been in one) which I eventually sold on and the new owners rang me to ask if I'd lost some jewellery because they'd found some under the boot carpet.  I couldn't think if I'd lost any so flannelled a bit and they saw through me and didn't bring it round to find out!
  • I recently found an old £5 note tucked inside the case of a CD I bought. I'm hoping to get to a bank soon so I can swap it for a new note.
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,507
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Bought a small suitcase and inside it was - another smaller suitcase!
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,704
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 8 January 2022 at 12:20AM
    I bought two sofas off gumtree seven years ago and recently found out that if I lean on the back of the base while vacuuming under the cushions, it opens up right to the back of the sofa. I found a pencil, a chocolate coin, a rubber band and some bits of Lego. 
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • Clearing out some stored stuff for sale / bin / charity shop, i found an unopened pack of hubba bubba gum, in my old school blazer!
    Long time comper, lapsed MSE'er. Have done a bit of banking, telecoms in my past..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback