Worth getting water meter?

Options
Whilst helping my 95 year old mother-in-law sort out her finances after the death of her husband last month, I notice on her bank statement she is paying £60 a month for her water (Severn Trent). I was a bit surprised since she doesn’t own a dishwasher or washing machine and only has a shower so water use is minimal until realising she is probably not on a meter. We pay £20 per month (metered) and use far more water so I am guessing she could be saving £40 per month if she were to have a meter fitted.

She wouldn’t be able to request one herself but we could do it for her. Is it a lot of disruption to do this and would it mean the water being off for any length of time or would there be any hassle? She doesn’t cope at all with change or disruption and gets easily upset, however she could really do with the extra monthly income. If it’s just a case of someone coming and doing a quick bit of work and her not being involved in any way, that would be ok. It would be less ok if people were needing access to the house or digging a hole at the end of the drive, in which case she would probably prefer not to have it done.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm with ST  - on a meter and paying £30 /month.   We are a 2 person household so your MIL's consumption would be lower.

Meter was fitted in the garage, not the road. It took an hour to fit.

It's read remotely, monthly DD and statement every 6 months.

It's a no brainer for her. and will go a long way towards the higher gas and electric heading her way.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 January 2022 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Call STW and they'll send someone out to do a survey and suggest a location for the meter. If located outside or in the road and there's no digging involved, her water will go off for about 5 mins while the meter is installed.

Single person here, unmetered it was £60 per month and I pay £20 now I'm metered.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Another ST customer here.
    I have had 2 meters fitted (2nd was an upgrade).
    Had minimal disruption, bills dropped by about 50%
    HTH
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As an aside, if MIL is of sound mind, and trusts you to help her with her finances, she really should set up a Lasting Power of Attorney ASAP. Then she can delegate her affairs to you, and in the event the terms of the Mental Capacity Act come into effect, you will be able to look after things.
  • Dannii75
    Dannii75 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live on my own & my monthly bill is £17, before I was unmetered it was £45pcm. Definitely worth it! 
  • Slumbershade
    Slumbershade Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 15 February 2022 at 12:29PM
    Options
    on south west water the average is £27 a month for a 1 person household I was just told. wonder why its so expensive down here
  • Jaybee_16
    Options
    on south west water the average is £27 a month for a 1 person household I was just told. wonder why its so expensive down here
    You aren't alone in wondering about more expensive water. I'm also one person on metered supply with Welsh Water, also paying £27pm.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since she can revert back to RV billing in the first 12 months if it isn't cheaper, it's really a no-brainer. And at no cost.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Another ST customer here.
    Opted for a meter, Bill's dropped by 50% at 1st, now pay even less.
    Think you can ask to go back on RV before 12 months if meter doesn't save money.
    For me it was a no brainer,  single occ no dishwasher, have shower dont have a car and let Mother Nature water the garden (do have a water butt though)
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm with Anglian Water and having a meter saves around £300 just on the RV standing charge, it's actually  even more than that  if I knew what my RV rate in the £ was.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure