Granddaughter dislikes me

Options
2»

Comments

• swan6060
    Options
    Maybe it is because she is fairly young. I can understand it must be very difficult but she will realize once she is a grown up. Even my nephew used to be like that but it changed once he started attending school
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,414 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Chances are that you are completely normal in appearance and everything else.  It's not you.  It's her.  And there's nothing the matter with that either.

And to her you may remind her of the shadows the trees made on her wall one night.  Or a pattern in the wallpaper she thinks is odd.  You will likely never know.  Think of how many children were supposedly frightened of clowns a while back (and maybe they still are) I found that baffling but there's probably a logical reason to it if you know know what it is!

I like the idea of grandpa saying "grandma's got the toy, let's go ask her for it".  That makes is a fun thing.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 December 2021 at 12:30AM
    Options
    My friend's child used to toddle over to me with a book and sit in my lap while I read to her and even once cried when I left. That was before lockdown and now she eyes me suspiciously and barely responds if I talk to her, trying to edge away - my mistake was acting with the familiarity that we'd had previously, whereas she'd completely forgotten me. It would be upsetting apart from the fact that she's not even four. Key I think is to not try to get into their personal space or good books. So offer a hug, but don't push for one and don't be super nice if they aren't also being super-nice to you too. It's almost like gaining the trust of a skittish animal - tiny baby steps showing they can trust and have fun with you.

Edited to add-
    It sounds silly, but you can freak a toddler out by smiling at them too much. Smile when you look at them, but try not to get their attention and they'll feel much more comfortable.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback