Never been billed

I moved into a new build almost 4 years ago now and contacted the area water provider to let them know. They told me they didn’t provide my water and I forgot about it and didn’t pursue this any further. I’m just wondering where I stand with this. At some point am I going to get a bill for 4 years worth of water? Is this my fault or theirs? Thank you. 

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    GF2 said:
    I moved into a new build almost 4 years ago now and contacted the area water provider to let them know. They told me they didn’t provide my water and I forgot about it and didn’t pursue this any further. I’m just wondering where I stand with this. At some point am I going to get a bill for 4 years worth of water? Is this my fault or theirs? Thank you. 
    House flat or ? Freehold or leasehold?

The last two flats we've been in the freeholder pays a metered bill for the whole building and its then recharged via the service charge. Didnt realise this with the first one and the water company didnt seem to either but had problems setting things up, they said theyd get back to me and didnt hear again so asked the landlord and he said.

Actually on our current flat we just got an over £750 per flat rebate from the water company for overbilling... only been there for 3 years so clearly most of that wasnt really ours but you win and lose on service charges.
  • GF2
    GF2 Posts: 13
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you for your reply! It’s a leasehold flat. I’ve just checked my service charge sheet and there’s nothing on there for water. I’m scared to ask the provider incase it lands me with a huge bull! 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,640
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    GF2 said:
    A 4-year-old new-build should have been fitted with water meter(s) from the start. Do you have a meter specific to your flat?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • GF2
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    GF2 said:
    A 4-year-old new-build should have been fitted with water meter(s) from the start. Do you have a meter specific to your flat?
    Yeah I have a water meter I just have no idea who’s paying for the water 
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,967
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can you read the meter  - when installed it will have read 0000.0     Then its time for some simple sums - that will give you some indication of what you owe (that will be the local Water Co - Severn Trent for example.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • GF2
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:
    Can you read the meter  - when installed it will have read 0000.0     Then its time for some simple sums - that will give you some indication of what you owe (that will be the local Water Co - Severn Trent for example.
    Yeah I can get into the cupboard. Do you know how I’d work it out? I’m useless haha
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,640
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 November 2021 at 9:41PM
    The meter should be measuring in cubic metres. Each cubic metre will be charged for supply and sewerage. As a very rough guide it will total around £2 per cubic metre but it does vary considerably by company. There will also be a daily standing charge (edit to add: mine is about 30p/day total).
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • GF2
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    The meter should be measuring in cubic metres. Each cubic metre will be charged for supply and sewerage. As a very rough guide it will total around £2 per cubic metre but it does vary considerably by company. There will also be a daily standing charge.
    Thank you so much !
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    It is quite common for water companies to be unaware of new build properties(for billing purposes) until some time after their completion.

Do you know if other flat owners are paying for their water?

You will eventually get a bill for the whole amount; although you will normally have time to pay over a year or two.

• Surely you have been setting aside a sum every month for when a bill finally arrives?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback