Amazon Not Taking Visa Credit Cards From Jan 19th 2022

I went to pay for something using my Visa Credit Card on Amazon and a large notice appeared "Due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions, starting 19 Jan, 2022, we will no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK. Please change your default payment method, or add and use an eligible payment method as default now. Eligible payment methods include: debit cards (including Visa debit cards), non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and EuroCard, or any Visa credit card issued outside the UK."

I only have a Visa credit card and am unlikely to be accepted for another credit card.  So I guess I'm going to be saving some money lol.  And I will be using Amazon less as sometimes for larger amounts its quite useful to be able to use a credit card (because of the added protection S75 offers.)

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    New one on me, never heard of this.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,924
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    First direct recently moved from visa to mastercard.  

I guess there are all sorts of big negotiations going on behind the scenes.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,924
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    >> I only have a Visa credit card and am unlikely to be accepted for another credit card.

If you really need to buy at Amazon, I guess you could use a prepaid mastercard?
  • deannagone
    deannagone Posts: 1,031
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Its ok, I was trying to inform rather than ask for advice.  My decision is made.  As has been said, probably a lot of talks going on in the background.  I did google and there was nothing using the search terms I tried but there are others of course.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,407
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    "Due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions, starting 19 Jan, 2022, we will no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK. Please change your default payment method, or add and use an eligible payment method as default now. Eligible payment methods include: debit cards (including Visa debit cards), non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and EuroCard, or any Visa credit card issued outside the UK."
    I wonder whether any of this is a public negotiation strategy to secure some incentive from Visa.
    Whatever the fees are for Visa, I cannot imagine they are higher than Amex (which many places do not accept because of the fees levied).
    I doubt we'll ever find the truth, but plenty of time for that withdrawal of accepting Visa to simply silently fall away and we'll all forget.

It won't affect me as I can't get a Visa card anyway, only Mastercard will have me.
  • jefaz07
    jefaz07 Posts: 530
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    marlot said:
    First direct recently moved from visa to mastercard.  

I guess there are all sorts of big negotiations going on behind the scenes.
    As are NatWest..haven’t had my new card yet but have been informed it’s coming. 
  • charlysays
    charlysays Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 November 2021 at 9:14AM
    Has no one considered this looks very much like a scam to get you to follow the links and update with a new payment method....Direct to the scammer? Does anyone seriously believe Amazon will no longer sell anything to the tens of millions of customers with Visa credit cards?
    I got the email this morning and it's now in my spam.
  • I just received the same email this morning.

What’s funny is, I recently purchased a watch from Amazon using my visa credit card and returned it due to it not being as good for its intended purpose.

Amazon reported that the item they received was not the watch. In fact they told me that they’d destroyed what ever was posted back to them upon arrival.

I’ve reported this to my credit card company and now they’re going to start a dispute lol
  • I think Amazon are being total idiots about this. Not about the visa charges (that's up to them and I have visa debit cards to use anyway). They emailed this message to me along with lots of links to change card information which just screams 'PHISHING ATTACK' to me . What's the betting the spammers start sending out mails with the same but different sites to log into.

What Amazon should do is send the email but say 'please log into your amazon account and change any cards to avoid delays' and not 'click here to change details'. No wonder hacks occur everywhere.. 

• This will just be a public attempt by Amazon to get something sorted before the deadline, no different to binmen declaring they are going on strike next week, which just so happens to get sorted before it actually happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure