PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What's the strangest clause you've seen in a tenancy/property agreement?

Options

Comments

• alanm_4
    Options
    Not tenancy, but restriction on land use on freehold of house we used to live in - not permitted to hold a circus or travelling fair in the garden
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    acranea said:
    I once rented a ground floor flat at the rear of a house with access to a back yard & entry. There were 2 noteworthy clauses in the tenancy agreement. They prohibited:

a) The provision of any sexual services

b) Any activity relating to the practice of Satanism (!)

I spent 4 years wondering who the hell had lived there before me !
    ... and did you comply with these clauses? ...
  • wongasaver
    Options
    A clause that had my wife and I laughing out loud when our solicitor was going through the purchase contract was - we were not allowed to have a permanent erection in the garden.!!! He very politely said that it was referring to sheds and similar, but as young newly-weds, I'm afraid we thought of something else.
  • Ditzy_Mitzy
    Options
    My lease agreement has a clause prohibiting the parking of tractors in the communal car park.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    acranea said:
    I once rented a ground floor flat at the rear of a house with access to a back yard & entry. There were 2 noteworthy clauses in the tenancy agreement. They prohibited:

Was in in Streatham?
  • anita116
    Options
    After reading a thread that mentions a freehold with the clause 'no playing piano in the garden', I wondered,

What's the strangest clause you've seen in a tenancy/property agreement?
    We were not allowed to burn bones in the garden!
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    acranea said:

Hell being the operative word! :D
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    martindow said:
    LAD917 said:
    No waterbeds used to be a very common clause in virtually every US lease - and it was enforceable there.

I can imagine that the weight of a water bed is enormous and maybe some floors are not sufficiently strong to bear them.

I guess it depend on whether the waterbed (mattress) was in a frame or directly on the floor. (Directly on the floor would mean the force was spread over a much larger area than within a frame, where the force is concentrated on the feet of the frame).

I imagine the clause is more to do with the potential for water damage should the bed leak. :) 
    Jenni x
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    martindow said:
    LAD917 said:
    No waterbeds used to be a very common clause in virtually every US lease - and it was enforceable there.

I can imagine that the weight of a water bed is enormous and maybe some floors are not sufficiently strong to bear them.

No, even cheaply made houses are ok.  The weight of a waterbed is spread out over the whole area of the bed.  We had one for years and never had a problem 
  • meinbrighton
    Options
    I wasn't allowed to run a Boys' School from my first house.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure