Increasing your Net Worth

Options

Comments

• noclaf
    noclaf Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    - Discovering this forum has been one.of the best decisions I ever made....nothing else has come close so far for helping to direct my learning and development on investments and pensions etc
    - Taking a leap of faith with my career when I was fearful. Not just the immediate financial benefit but also the career development to help me secure higher paid work in the future. Sounds obvious I know but it can be tough navigating.such decisions in life.
    - Marrying a life partner who has a similar mindset on spending i.e: won't leave you broke!
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 896 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rich parents who died young.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    HHarry said:
    Rich parents who died young.
    I admire your honesty.....and "good fortune" 👍
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KoalaK32 said:
    What’s the best financial decision you’ve made that helped boost your net worth? Also, what tool do you use to keep track of your net worth?
    Deciding to pay Class 2 voluntary NICs when I left the UK 35 years ago.

I don't track my net worth actively. Every so often I will check my account levels on various websites.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paying off the mortgage in less than 10 years, then able to max out the ISA for the next 35. Maybe the wrong way round now, but the timing might just have been right in the days of high interest rates and house price inflation. Excel is all you need.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Taking critical illness cover, after 14 payments we were able to claim a 6 figure sum.

Details are all in my head, really need to put it in a spreadsheet 
    My worst financial decision was not taking critical illness cover and then being diagnosed with a critical illness 6 months later. I guess there is a chance that they may not have paid out due to the short timescale but I would have had mortgage paid off 20 years ago.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to REDUCE our net worth.  Need to get rid of £200K before the second of us dies - can't spend it fast enough.  After a life of frugality it's hard to spend and not look for YS items in the supermarket. Already  DOV £180K away... still working on the rest. First world problems!
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,035 Forumite
    Options
    jimjames said:
    Taking critical illness cover, after 14 payments we were able to claim a 6 figure sum.

Details are all in my head, really need to put it in a spreadsheet 
    My worst financial decision was not taking critical illness cover and then being diagnosed with a critical illness 6 months later. I guess there is a chance that they may not have paid out due to the short timescale but I would have had mortgage paid off 20 years ago.
    I know CI isn't a popular choice on here but it absolutely worked for our situation, our finances weren't impacted by the event, in fact with my OH stopping smoking we were better off. 
    We chose not to pay off the mortgage as it was quite affordable, but now have a good safety net and we could take time to decide how best to use the money. 

My OH hasn't made a full recovery but is much better and jokes it was his best days work. 

I hope you are in good health now.
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    - signing up to a DB pension whilst at uni working a weekend job. Ended up staying there 12 years after working my way up. 
    - changing career after the DB pension was closed to go work in finance & learn tons. 
    - starting to invest instead of save. Wish I’d known about investing sooner. 

Track mine one excel
  • CoastingHatbox
    Options
    Contributing to a continuously to a company pension scheme since I was 18.
    A dream is not reality, but who's to say which is which?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback