Help with TUI

13»

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 October 2021 at 6:08PM
    Westin said:
    RUI however bought TUI’s investment in the RUI hotels back earlier this year -
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tui-m-a-rui-idUSKCN2D82EL
    According to that piece (and the similar one I found before that previous post), TUI sold their stake in the RIU legal entity itself, but the hotel joint venture remains unaffected:
    TUI said a separate and long-standing 50/50 hotel joint venture with RIU - including 100 hotels and resorts around the world - would be unaffected by the deal.
    I don't know if the Sri Lanka resort falls within that arrangement, but I think all are agreed that, whatever the corporate shenanigans, OP needs to be dealing with the tour operator with whom they have a contract!
  • TUI cancelled our family holiday eight days before departure in August as they "consolidated" our flight from East Midlands, i.e. cancelled it because they hadn't sold enough seats to make it financially viable. No viable alternative or assistance was offered.
    While the cost of the holiday was refunded reasonably promptly the cost of parking at the airport and a hire car in Madeira, both of which were booked and paid for through the TUI website were more problematic. TUI's phone lines proved to be a disastrous waste of time (many hours holding on before being cut off) nor were my emails ever answered. Holiday Extras (parking) and Global Car Hire (Cartrawler) both claimed that as my booking was not cancelled in time, no refunds could be made. I had assumed that TUI would cancel all the holiday booked through them and as they cancelled it, they would notify the other vendors for whom they were acting as agent.
    Bottom line... after waiting a few weeks I sued TUI for my outstanding £507 using the moneyclaim.gov.uk service and received payment within a few days including the refund of my £50 costs!
    If you find yourself getting shunted around, ignored or bullied by one of these large companies I recommend recourse to this service rather than playing the game by their rules. 
  • Thats a lovely story but it has absolutely nothing to do with the situation the OP is currently in.
  • rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    BB2021 said:
    Hello, I'm looking for any advice whatsoever please.

My family and I booked a holiday to Sri Lanka in December with TUI at one of their hotels. We have booked and paid for the holiday in full. 

When the holiday was booked in June 2021 the TUI hotel we booked to stay in was a Level 1 Secure COVID Hotel. What this means is our children - who aren't vaccinated - were able to take a PCR test at the hotel, and then quarantine in the hotel for 1 or 2 days until the results came back.

On October 4th TUI removed themselves from the Level 1 Secure COVID bio bubble scheme. 

What this means now is that when we land our 14 and 17yr old children would have to move to a separate hotel in the capital Colombo whilst my husband and I, along with out younger child, travelled 4 hours across the country to the the TUI hotel. It would also mean, due to the dates, that our children would be in a quarantine hotel on their own on Christmas Day. 

Obviously this isn't something we would have booked had we known that TUI would remove themselves from the 'Level 1 secure' scheme. 

We have since spoken to TUI - after10 hours on hold on the telephone - and they have told us they do not have to refund us as it isn't in their terms and conditions. This is despite there being a big written passage on their website which says if a country requires any kind of quarantine, they simply won't go there. 

Any advice on what to do next will be greatly welcome. 

Thank you.

They are trying it on. They materially changed the holiday that you booked, withdrawing from the Level 1 Secure COVID scheme which was a very significant factor in you choosing their service.

As such, the contract is frustrated as they cannot provide what you booked. You are entitled to a full refund.

If you paid on card then talk to your bank about a chargeback.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback