IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

*URGENT* Upcoming Court Mediation

Options

Comments

• TheOpinionatedBrit
    Options
    Well……….. I’ve came out victorious on this occasion. I had a sneaky feeling off the back of my evidence and the law firms apparent lack of preparation and poor attitude towards this that I had a good chance. The letter just cements this. 

It goes without saying that thanks goes out to all of you that helped with this. Just one more question. How do I go about claiming my lost working time, time spent planning, researching and prepping and the cost for materials such as paper, ink etc? I’d like to make sure it costs them and not me!

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If the hearing date is more than a week away , you cannot get them back

Some people write to the court to change the hearing to a costs hearing , but I suppose that it would have meant that GN paid for the hearing court fee

If it's less than a week away , write to the court and ask

Well done , GN and dcb legal lose again

Another one bites the dust !!
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • 95Rollers
    95Rollers Posts: 807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 November 2021 at 11:08PM
    Options
    What actually happened was that DCBL told Highview that this was another of their car crash cases and to discontinue.   In reality it was DCBL that saved their own skin and another spanking in court.

Definitely. They do like to leave their discontinuations to the last minute it seems. I feel this is because they are hoping the victims will crack under pressure to settle up or just out of spite as a kind of "Final F*** You" because they know they are the actually the ones whose case is "without merit" rather than their opponents!  But will deliberately leave people stewing instead of informing them earlier of the decision of no further action! Its like a final petty win for them and chancing their arm for a late payment or no show.

Unless DCBL are running a freebie service, this will cost Highview money. Highview must ask themselves why they did not take proper legal advice in the first place

Because they are greedy cheapskates methinks and if you pay peanuts or even just nothing at all...

I know DCBL run a free debt crawler service like Trace/ ZZPS/ DRP etc. But not sure how it works at the legal stage.  I asked them for a breakdown of "thier costs" in my SAR - but they didn't answer or provide me with an itemised invoice like I asked for to clarify their charges and bombastically inflated sum! 

Someone would have to pay for the legal fees - which is probably £25 to initially file the claim then another £25-27 to get it into court - plus all the time they've wasted doing paperwork, admin etc. So they are probably close to £100 down when you calculate all the court fees, staff wages (which is probably around the minimum wage), postage costs, printouts (where the environment takes a hit) and answering SARS and dealing with SRA/ FCA/ ICO complaints on top of their usual crap.

But the sad thing is it will cost the court more in running costs/ wages/ time with our tax money and deprive real victims who've  been ripped off by rogue traders or burnt in deals the chance to get efficient justice and reimbursement because DCBL/ QDR/ Gladstones are clogging up a tax payer funded public court and justice system with their high volume of spurious (unsubstantiated/ poorly investigated) tosh at the courts, taxpayers and victim's expense). 

Great result @TheOpinionatedBrit - you stuck to your guns, kept your cool and they walked away with their tails between their legs.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 November 2021 at 10:41PM
    Options
    This may give you some ideas as to DCB Legal hourly rates (page 6 "Other work"):-https://dcblegal.co.uk/content/uploads/2020/09/Full-Fees-Costs-DCB-Legal.pdf
  • 95Rollers
    95Rollers Posts: 807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 November 2021 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Castle said:
    This may give you some ideas as to DCB Legal hourly rates (page 6 "Other work"):-https://dcblegal.co.uk/content/uploads/2020/09/Full-Fees-Costs-DCB-Legal.pdf
    £125 plus VAT for a Witness Statement. Judging by the witness statements I've seen from them - all I can say is 😆🤣😂😹 and 😆🤣😂😹😆

Is it only chargeable on winning? 
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    95Rollers said:
    Castle said:
    £125 plus VAT for a Witness Statement. Judging by the witness statements I've seen from them - all I can say is 😆🤣😂😹 and 😆🤣😂😹😆

Is it only chargeable on winning? 
    That would no doubt depend on their actual arrangements, but just issuing the court claim is a loss maker when the Solicitors get involved. (The LBA £65 and claim issue costs £80 come to £145 and the VAT is not recoverable-so that £174, of which only £50 is potentially payable by the defendant).
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done!

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Alice76
    Alice76 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @TheOpinionatedBrit
    I have received a letter of Claim by DCBL  I am tryinfg to read all these old posts but there is so much and i feel lost.  I would like just to have an example and the step i have to do to respond to the letter of claim.

is there anybody here who can provide a clear simple step by step approach or a recent example of a response letter to DCBL legal?  

Many Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure