IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

*URGENT* Upcoming Court Mediation

Options

Comments

• TheOpinionatedBrit
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    Please read the NEWBIES FAQ Announcement, second post, which outlines the entire court process, start to finish. In it you will find links to a template defence where all you need do is fill in a little background to your parking event, the rest is written for you. 

Please provide us with some details so we can get you on the right track:

1. Name of the private parking company (PPC).
    2. Which solicitors (if any) are involved.
    3. Date of parking event.
    4. Date of issue shown on the N1 claim form from the Northampton CCBC. 
    5. Date of your Acknowledgment of Service (AOS).
    Hi Umkomass,

If given you some poor info to start with. I am at the stage where I need to write my witness statement by Friday however see below answer to your questions:

1. Highview Parking Ltd
    2.  DCB Legal
    3. 16/11/2015
    4. 22/07/2021
    5.04/05/2021

I'm pretty much at a loss with the witness statement as it was so long ago I just don't know what to write.

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't think we've seen Highview progress to a fully defended court hearing, so you just have to keep jumping through all the hoops to ensure there is no judgment in default against you. Keep at it!
    4. 22/07/2021
    5.04/05/2021
    Both these dates can't be right. You can't do 5 until after 4. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2021 at 9:15PM
    Options
    Please tell us the precise location of the alleged event. I'll have a look to see if there are any historic GSV images that might help.
    Alternatively use this GSV tutorial I wrote a while ago.

Google Street View (GSV) Tutorial — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Irrespective of that, you aver that the signs that are there now were not there in 2015, and the signs in place in 2015 were inadequate, then put the claimant to strict proof that the contrary was true.

I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2021 at 9:19PM
    Options
    I think UK Parking Patrol Office Ltd have been "running" the car park for at least the last 4 years; maybe Highview forgot to take some photos in 2015!
  • TheOpinionatedBrit
    Options
    Fruitcake said:
    Please tell us the precise location of the alleged event. I'll have a look to see if there are any historic GSV images that might help.
    Alternatively use this GSV tutorial I wrote a while ago.

Google Street View (GSV) Tutorial — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Irrespective of that, you aver that the signs that are there now were not there in 2015, and the signs in place in 2015 were inadequate, then put the claimant to strict proof that the contrary was true.

Hi Fruitcake,

It was Stadium Retail Park in Wembley
  • TheOpinionatedBrit
    Options
    Castle said:
    I think UK Parking Patrol Office Ltd have been "running" the car park for at least the last 4 years; maybe Highview forgot to take some photos in 2015!
    Well I've been looking on street view and the signs jump from 2014 to 2017 with with nothing from 2015 which was the year in question. The pictures of the signs that DCB Legal have included in their witness statement don't reference a date so could be from anytime. 
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 October 2021 at 12:11AM
    Options
    I've been looking on street view and the signs jump from 2014 to 2017 with with nothing from 2015 which was the year in question. The pictures of the signs that DCB Legal have included in their witness statement don't reference a date so could be from anytime. 
    Great!  Then say that in your WS and show the problem on Google Streetview, to show the Judge that you have tried your damnedest to find actual photos of the signs in 2015 and drawn a blank, and clearly so has the Claimant, which you would suggest is fatal to their case.

So is the fact this is about a 2015 allegation and there is no evidence who was driving.  Given Highview don't use the POFA 2012, they can't hold a keeper liable.  They can only hold a known driver liable, with evidence or a previous admission in an old appeal, and if there is none of that, then they have no lawful means of holding you liable. 

Especially if your car was driven by your partner or other family around that time when shopping, which you can state (and prove with evidence, if you can get your old car insurance up from old emails or paperwork and show that there is more then one named driver).  Even if you can't prove that, the burden is not yours anyway.  The case is for the Claimant to prove, and signage and keeper liability are both enormous mountains that Highview sound unlikely to scale in your case, unless you have previously (in an old appeal or something, or in your defence) said you were the driver.

In which case, signage will be your main point.

Examples of how a WS should look were posted this year by @Nosy and @jrhys.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    I don't think we've seen Highview progress to a fully defended court hearing, so you just have to keep jumping through all the hoops to ensure there is no judgment in default against you. Keep at it!
    4. 22/07/2021
    5.04/05/2021
    Both these dates can't be right. You can't do 5 until after 4. 
    I think it's a typo ... 5 is below 8 on a numeric keypad, so I think the AoS was 04/08/2021 :)
    Jenni x
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Perfect evidence photos, @Fruitcake!  As long as that is confirmed by the OP to be the location, I'd say that nails it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure