Does MoneySaving run in the family?

Comments

• MaryNB
    MaryNB Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 October 2021 at 12:59PM
    We never talked about money growing up. I hated asking for money and I was horrified after spending so much money on clothes during my first summer job as a teenager - both of those things made me more careful with money. I graduated during the worst part of the recession in Ireland and I know what it's like not even be able to find a job advert to apply to, let alone actually get a job so that also made me very nervous. When I did get a job in the UK I was under threat of redundancy after a year and a half and that threat was in place for about 8 months. My industry works in 5 year cycles so every 5 years I'm due to get nervous about my employment. 
    My parents pretty much had/have a job for life with far more favourable pensions so they didn't worry about that as much.

My brother is the opposite to me, spend spend spend, frequent visits to the bank of mam and dad. Lived at home rent free for years while working full time, asks them to pay for a car.

My dad is a man of cash, he has a card he rarely uses, no online banking at all. Hates DDs but he's also very forgetful so never went to pay in the post office on time. He was always getting late fees. Loads of unopened bills by the front door. We once had our phone cut off he forgot for so long. We were never short on money, he was just forgetful. I am the total opposite, everything by DD, I can see all my accounts on my banking app. I pay everything on card or my phone, unless it's cash only. 

My mother is currently working beyond her retirement age because she loves having her own funds. She's careful with money but is also willing to treat herself and loves having her own money to do so. She's a bit more tech savvy, loves online banking etc. I'm definitely more like her, although still far more nervous about money. 
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I grew up in a family that was careful with money.  I was bought up by my grandparents who weren't poor but were just of the generation that was careful with money. 

My son, has recently told me he doesn't know how I coped when I was a single parent and gave him such a lovely upbringing on such little income, which was lovely for me to hear.

My son is definetely a spender BUT he is always looking for the best deals for whatever he wants to buy and spends significant amounts of time researching before he buys anything.

• Afourteen
    Afourteen Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was driven to distraction by my father always onto me to Save, Save, SAVE... It became so ingrained in my that I had (have) a terrible reputation for being 'tight'. Dad never understood endowment insurance policies, I was told off when I first set one up - being told to put that money into a building society instead but then was impressed by the payout on the first one I had. Latter ones didn't do as well. 
    Even today I'm still 'careful' with money but all bills are paid on the day of receipt, by cheque, credit card or cash never by bank card. Try not to have Direct Debits - I've seen one go 'wrong' and the trouble and effort to get it corrected. Check cheque book  stubs against bank statements. Credit card slips against credit card statement. 
    We are now comfortably off and don't owe anyone money. 
    Have a separate bank account to fund household bills (CT, Water, Energy, Phone's) so can pay CT and water once a year instead of monthly, because of that account only deals with household bills any divergencies from what is expected stand out. That account I have a standing order to transfer a sum of money into that I've determined will cover next years bills with a little surplus (that amount is going a lot this year!).
  • BethP
    BethP Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My mother taught me how to manage money and I’m grateful to her. My siblings are hopeless with money.  Mum said to start each month from £zero and to ignore any money left in account before payday.  She also advised to make a note of all spending for one month to see where money goes.  This is a habit I’ve inherited from her.  I’ve needed money management skills over the years
  • london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    Runs in the family.

Especially my mom, very business minded.
    Both my parents are big on savings and investments.

• 2Scratters
    2Scratters Posts: 938 Forumite
    Its a bit of a mixed bag for me. I'm a bit resentful of my mother not teaching and physically putting money aside along with me to show how to get into a habit. More do as I say not as I do.
     Dad it turns out was far better with money but as he was not home regularly this was not passed down. DB has probably benefited from parents teachings as he too ended up working away and they managed his bills and payments out so he never got into debt.
    I have definitely learnt the hard way. DS is learning the hard way too but with a GF who has no intention of saving. He has manageable debt one of which is due to finish this year of paying back the bank of mum and dad. We talk about money and managing with disposable income. I want him to be in a better position earlier in his life than we were.
    I suppose you just have to be recipient to guidance when it is being given. For others it clearly is in their blood.   
    Anything is better than nothing-check back and see On the declutter journey 2023 with Mrs SD Tilly Tidy 2023 YTD 14.98
  • Both my parents we savers, my brother is a saver and me well im a saver to the point where I actually hate spending money unless i really have to.
    My husband was a spender when we first met but over time ive rubbed off on him and he has become a saver.  My children I have 1 saver and 1 spender.
    Growing up I always taught never get into debt and only buy what you can afford,  I was told that the only debt I shoud ever have if i needed to have one was a mortgage but even with that we paid it off early
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 9 March 2022 at 12:53PM
    Mum had a low income but not that good with money and took being frugal to extreme- any secondhand furniture was used at least 5 years passed when it should have been dumped and had some truly awful sofas over the years in particular.

I'm better with money, always been a saver despite my low income so I didn't struggle as my Mum did, but have had to train myself out of the mentality of make do and mend, extreme edition.
    I started dog walking so of course I allocated an old pair of Primark fabric boots even though it was winter and even though dog didn't walk neatly on the path- cue months of soaking wet cold feet.

Finally had enough and bought a new pair of wellies (£12.99 from Shoe zone) and they were fab!

I'm hopefully moving out within 2 years but have found myself woefully and embarrassingly ignorant about decorating and what furniture is available to buy. Because so so so little has been done here my entire life. 

I'm 34 but only discovered recently that not all tiles are the small square kind, and shoe cupboards that close and have pull down shelves are a thing!
  • Friday1989
    Friday1989 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Money was very tight when I was a kid so I learnt how to manage money from my mum. 

My siblings are more mixed... One is always in a crisis and owes everyone money, another is good with money and has started investing in his early 20s (I wouldn't have a clue where to start) and the other manages ok but definitely isn't a saver. 
    Mortgage at 30: £204,750  (08/2020)
    Current mortgage: £154,369 (02/2024)
    Goal: £145,000 by 02/2025
    End goal: Mortgage free asap! 
  • RalphT264
    RalphT264 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    I recommend parallel techniques based on my personal knowledge since my early twenties.
    Make enough money to meet everyone's expenses and save every penny you can, even if it's only $1K per month. Over time, every small bit adds up and multiplies as you re-invest.
    Create opportunities for family members to earn money or save you time. They will require less money from you if they make their own money. Because time is money, the time they save you will make it simpler for you to give them more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback