A new chapter, An empty nest, Drama school & Last year of Uni

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DD got offered a p-time job yesterday. In the entertainment sector at a tourist attraction walking distance from where she studies. Will be weekends because until high season they are only open then and in school hols - which she doesn't get off. Am pleased for her, she discovered last term that her (min) student loan doesn't stretch that far - a point brought home to her when she had no money to buy Christmas presents for friends/family - whilst I was thinking I  knew that back at the beginning of your course when you'd spent a good 40% in the first 10 days, glad you've realised. Her ex continues to mess with her head though by the various things he does. I had domestic abuse training last week through work and spoke to the trainer afterwards about him, who confirmed my earlier thought about him having a personality disorder and also said that he is continuing to be psychologically abusive to DD and if it continues she has grounds to complain officially. 

We got a statement through for the 0% CC DH transferred  some of the money to  last year. Unfortunately it doesn't make it clear the balance owing and we can't find the date interest free  stops. DH rang up but they told him he has to go into a branch to find out - a bit problematic as he works f-time Mon-Fri, often away and there's no staff on Saturdays. Once next months mortgage payment goes through and we get to the bottom of the 0% deal, we can concentrate on paying off the rest we owe.

I pranged my car last week, dark, dimly lit car park bad weather, I misjudged a corner and went into a bush. It's damaged my bumper. Whether it can be or is worth repairing I'm unsure. We need to ask somewhere next week. 

I am accompanying DH on a trip soon, he is at a works conference so his expenses are paid just paid for my flights. 
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's ace that you can join DH on trips with just the cost of the flights - gives you a great chance to see new places for a budget price doesn't it. Also pleased for your DD that she's found a job that works for her too. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Catching up on your diary…well done to your DD on securing a job and your DS for getting his first job. My DD2’s bf gave up a job without having another to go to which I found disconcerting but maybe that’s how it works more these days? Glad that it has worked out by for your DS. How are their wedding plans coming on?
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Spendless
    Options
    Catching up on your diary…well done to your DD on securing a job and your DS for getting his first job. My DD2’s bf gave up a job without having another to go to which I found disconcerting but maybe that’s how it works more these days? Glad that it has worked out by for your DS. How are their wedding plans coming on?
    Well the job has been in touch and said the role offered now won't happen till the summer, but have offered her a job in a different department, she's currently deciding what to do. Her halls have covid, as does her boyf,  she's unwell but testing negative, she's had to ask for extensions on her self tapes for her degree courses because they've been told to keep to their rooms (though there's a shared kitchen, she ordered a take away yesterday and just dashed to get it from reception area) so has little space or equipment to film in - even if she was feeling well enough to do it and her lessons have all gone online. However she also found she has been put down for the main part of the next Shakespeare they are doing.

Re the wedding, though the Bride's Mum is pretty much  organising it as the wedding takes place in her home town (1.5 hrs away from where we live) I think the huge majority is done. DD's bridesmaid dress was ordered at Christmas but hasn't arrived yet. DS needs to buy his suit. There's some expenses we agreed to pay for that need sorting
  • Spendless
    Options
    Was woken up in the middle of the night by an upset DD who has tested positive for Covid. All previous tests had been negative so she went to visit friends and then decided to do another test later as still feeling unwell. Someone told her she wasn''t doing the nasal swab correctly and then she got a positive result. She was meant to be going to see London theatre tomorrow for her friend's birthday and DH has booked  them 2 hotel rooms using his loyalty points for one, booked the other believing DD's friends would pay when they checked in/out (he says this has always happened) and we've been charged already - £116. They were going to split the total cost between all of them. One girl has paid us, but I don't know what's happening now as not clear who will be able to go. DH also believed he could cancel up till 1pm today but looks like he can't!   Have again spoken to DH about us NOT paying for any of DD's expenses. If it's a cost we're happy to pay for, she pays upfront and then if it goes ahead we imburse. It goes wrong as it frequently does then it's not us out of pocket.  .

We have £420 left on our mortgage then it is gone. That will be paid next week. Our DD is for more than that, so need to find our how we get the over- payment back. Don't think it'll be refunded automatically as it's an offset mortgage so can withdraw money from it anytime and the term doesn't officially end for another 4 years.

Still haven't been able to get to the bottom of the balance and term of the 0% CC. I re-read through this diary cos I thought it might be mentioned, didn't find anything, but was interesting reading back, so many things I'd forgotten.  Plenty about the ex, he got in touch yet again over the Christmas hols. She was out on a night out in a different city with the only mate he met that he hasn't slept with (and that's because on the numerous times he's contacted mate, she's ignored/blocked him - otherwise I have no doubt he'd have gone for the full set).He is currently doing something else aimed at upsetting her. I'm not in the right mind space to tell all here yet, but given time.

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    If it's a DD payment then they should just take the correct amount I believe? There may be fees added for dealing with the end of the mortgage though so that might be worth checking. 

Hope DD is feeling better soon. (Just grinned as I spotted to two uses of DD with different meanings here!) 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Did you open it online? Do you have online banking for it? Mine had it in the documents section. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • Spendless
    Options
    A very brief update. We returned home from our trip abroad at the beginning of the week. The following morning, I was told my Nan was deteriorating , went to her Nursing home, all she passed away later that day. She was 98. Me, parents and DS who works nearby where all able to be with her. DD set off from Essex, which is 2 trains and a tube home. DH was working in the Midlands and didn't set off until DD was on the direct train home in case of any issues Unfortunately both missed seeing her by around half an hour. Understandably everything else is currently on hold whilst we deal with this. My boss has been very understanding, I haven't been to work all week, whilst I support  and help my parents but that means no wages, my hol year only started beg of Jan and I had the few hours I'd accrued as hol pay from being away. I do intend to return next week. 
  • Humdinger1
    Humdinger1 Posts: 1,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sending hugs @Spendless...be kind to yourself because you are the maypole around which everyone dances, no? Love Humdinger xx 
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    So sorry to read of your loss Spendless. 
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family