Curbing the ridiculous

in Debt Free Diaries
329 replies 36.4K views

Replies

• RebeccaPearsonRebeccaPearson Forumite
    516 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Saw house - downstairs was stunning.  Upstairs pokey and they wanted a king's ransom for it and not in a location we wanted.  So sadly another no.  Picked up clothes from friend - not been through them yet but will this weekend - 2 big bags so that is good and will save us plenty of cash.

Soft play ended up buying chips @3 (shared with the 2 DC who were bemoaning hunger despite lots of home brought snacks and a diet coke at £2.60 so not great on the old MSE wise.

DC2 really poorly again - was in A&E last night but home now.  So we are again exhausted after no sleep.  I am WFH this morning and DH finishes at 1 today so will take over then and I will go in.  Not managing to get a whole lot done as DC2 v unsettled and unwell.

Big shop tomorrow and we do need a fair bit.  I will make a list/meal plan.
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    sorry about DC2 - I hope they are feeling better, poor little baby.  Sorry about house too - if nothing else you get to see inside lots of houses (I love viewing houses) but obviously would be better to find the right one.
    516 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thank you @Blackcats - I think they are getting there, but the sleepless nights are a killer!

So, some sort of epic fail (again) last night.  We needed formula for DC2 which was almost £12.  DH asked me to get him the beers he likes, so I got myself some wine.  DH had also demanded crisps.  And I got pudding (amazing white chocolate cheesecake) so I think the total was about £32.  DH had also got us a takeaway box from M&S - to be fair we quite often do this on a friday because it's friday and also because it's much cheaper (by around two thirds) and nicer than a takeaway.  So I am ok with that even though non-essential, but the other stuff.....

Did "big shop" today which was £48 so not too bad though need a couple of odds and s*ds from M&S later (like fruit for DC as it's better quality and lasts longer).  I was tempted by cheesecake again for pudding tonight but instead saw some pastel de nata in the freezer section which for 6, were the same price as 2 slices of cheesecake.  So as long as I can keep DH sticking to 1, that will do us for 3 weekend puddings (in the week we have yoo moo normally). 

Also need to go and get a gift for a party DC1 is going to this arvo.

Tonight is dinner from stores (though some of it bought today) - DH makes an amazing sausage, tomato and cream pasta from scratch so having that.

We have spent just over a quarter of our budget for this month and have 2.5 weeks to go so should be ok this month I think.
    516 Posts
    ✭✭
    Arghhhhh.  So, got gift (3.99) and card (1.49) for party.  Went to party,  Got home.  Was supposed to be going to best friend's house to drink wine (and conveniently miss dinner, bath and bedtime) but started being sick and having the runs.  DH started with the same.  Ambulance had to be called for DH as he couldn't get up off the floor, feel his legs or move his hands.  He was given an injection, dioralyte and they rang oncall doctor to try to get him to visit in the night but he was fully booked up.  I was awake most of the night feeling awful and trying to ensure DH had little sips of water every 20 mins or so (which was a battle).

MIL came over and slept on sofa in case kids woke - neither did - but she played with them this morning so we could sleep.  She was going to take them both today but just as she was about to leave with them, DC1 went "I want a cuddle" and then threw up all over the floor.  So we kept him and sent DC2 with MIL.  Then DC1 seemed ok but has just projectile vommed all over the sofa, carpet and DH.  I am now feeling sick again.  MIL is going to keep DC2 overnight as we really don't want him to get it given he is already poorly.  We do wonder if the steroids will keep it at bay.

So a complete and utter nightmare.  We can't eat, can barely drink and just feel rubbish.  Will be no work or nursery tomorrow.  Honestly, we pay 80 a day per child for nursery and they are never there.
  • That is a complete nightmare and so worrying for you. I hope you all feel better soon and DC2 escapes this nasty bug! 
    LBM: August 2006 - £12,568.49 ——  DFD: 12 March 2012
    MFD: 30 March 2019
     »The road to DF is long and bumpy » Greensaints 
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear - I'm so sorry to hear that you are all so poorly.  Hoping you all feel better soon - take care x 
  • Honeysucklelou2Honeysucklelou2 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
     Hope you all feel better soon.
    paydbx2022 #93 £160/£5000 . 2022 savings challenge £30/£2000
    EF £24 .
    Savings 2 £20.00 H2S £650.00
    516 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks all.  It is getting marginally better for us, but not DC1.  He has just thrown up his breakfast and the whole lounge stinks of sick.  DC2 now has the runs and his breathing is still not normal.  All DH and I have been able to eat are a couple of potato waffles.  MIL was meant to take DC2 overnight but she had to drop him back around 5 as she is now feeling sick.  Really hope she hasn't go it.  

Both had to take a sick day today.  I'm not in tomorrow anyway so hoping all will be back to normal by Weds but we shall see.  I guess at least we are not spending money!  And I've dropped quite a few pounds.
    516 Posts
    ✭✭
    So definitely not back to normal!  DC2 still really struggling with breathing so took him back to doctor.  Doctor concerned re oxygen sats and his breathing so sent me up to hospital to see paediatrician.  Paediatrician did sats which were normal and he's not concerned - says he has brochiolitis.  So no nursery for him tomorrow.  AGAIN.  We are hoping MIL will take him as neither of us can take any more time off.

Then, got to Mr M&S to get us something nice for lunch but when I got there, realised that I had left my purse in the bag I had taken to hospital earlier with DC2.  Had £13.20 loose change in my purse so could get lunch but not all the things I wanted (spent £11.85 so I suppose a way of being MSE and loose change wasn't from this month's budget, it was just some I had loose in my bag, but that wasn't the point).  So when the girl at the till asked me how I was today I had a meltdown, cried, let rip about what had happened today and then got my shopping and drove home.  Got home and DH said "omg are you ok" because I had mascara all down my face without realising.

Anyway.  We have basically had an awful 12 months and that seems to be continuing.  

I need a lift and to get some positvity back and I just don't know how as I don't see an end to our situation
  • I am so sorry you feel so low. Remember you are unwell, your children and husband are unwell too and you are probably much more stressed than you realise about DC2. 

It’s all well and good trying to be stoical about everything but having a meltdown and a good cry might make you feel a bit better in the long run, letting out all the bad feelings you’ve bottled up. 

You’re trying to do a lot at the same time: working, saving money, raising children, buying a house. No wonder you are struggling. 

Make a list of the positives and the negatives in your life, and make a plan according to the results. 
    LBM: August 2006 - £12,568.49 ——  DFD: 12 March 2012
    MFD: 30 March 2019
     »The road to DF is long and bumpy » Greensaints