Roaming in Andorra

Options
Hello,

My contract with Vodafone is coming to and end and was looking around at alternatives. However I have booked a holiday next year in Andorra so I could do with roaming data for the kids to use mainly. Vodafone charge £6 per day which is fair enough but I'm struggling to find another operator that does roaming in Andorra at a reasonable rate. I've found Plusnet that say they include Andorra in there roaming but google seem to suggest it doesn't work in reality. Does anyone know of other operators that cover Andorra?

Cheers
8kw system spread over 6 roofs , surrounded by trees and in a valley.

Comments

• JenB79
    JenB79 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Any particular reason why you don’t want to buy a local SIM?
  • arty688
    arty688 Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    expensive and not straightforward I believe.
  • JenB79
    Options
    In that case, Plusnet offer free roaming in Andorra (no idea about others):

https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roam-like-at-home/
  • arty688
    Options
    yes spotted that but there seems to be a few negative stories on the net about it not working and it seems a bit odd that Plusnet owned by BT offers Andorra for free and EE don't even offer it as one of the add ons, so not convinced its not a typo. Anyone used Plusnet in Andorra ? 
  • JenB79
    Options
    arty688 said:
    yes spotted that but there seems to be a few negative stories on the net about it not working and it seems a bit odd that Plusnet owned by BT offers Andorra for free and EE don't even offer it as one of the add ons, so not convinced its not a typo. Anyone used Plusnet in Andorra ? 
    Its there's in black and white, you don't need any further proof. As to why EE and BT don't offer it, its purely a commercial decision. Its a bit like asking why don't Plusnet offer offer wifi calling or Visual Voicemail when EE does...after all they're both owned by BT group right?

• arty688
    Options
    Slightly different as Andorra is a telecoms monopoly which charges quite a lot for roaming so it just seem a bit odd that a small subsidiary provider is the only one to have struck a deal with them. Odd but not impossible I would also guess that there are get outs in the black and white small print as well. Probably worth a punt at £8 for 12gb 30 day contract but will probably stay with Vodafone just incase.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 September 2021 at 2:40PM
    Options
    The presence of Anguilla, and no other Caribbean country (bar those which are integral parts of France), on Plusnet's list looks even more odd, and increases my suspension of error.

But still, if it's there, you should have good grounds to argue a refund if they do charge.

Try and be modest, and not flirt with any numbers that could be fair use limits.

For instance, I'd switch off all automatic app updates and automatic message synchronisations. But at that sort of level of usage, can you make do with just passing wifi?
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Given the size of Andorra, depending on where you are located, you’ll probably pick up the French or Spanish networks as well anyway, so set a manual roam for those?
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • arty688
    edited 16 September 2021 at 3:17PM
    Options
    no chance of Spanish or French  signals in most of Andorra  I'm afraid (been there a few times)maybe somewhere  in Pasa De le Casa but unlikely 
  • lon_don
    Options
    arty688 said:
    no chance of Spanish or French  signals in most of Andorra  I'm afraid (been there a few times)maybe somewhere  in Pasa De le Casa but unlikely 

Been there 5 times in the last 6 years for skiing. Can confirm Plusnet inclusive roaming worked fine (at least until 2020, no skiing in 2021!) but never picked up any French or Spanish signal (in Andorra la Vella or La Massana).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback