Mail from Companies House not for me

13»

Replies

• longwalks1longwalks1 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    martindow said:
    Is there really nothing on google, twitter or facebook for this company?  It would be astonishing if someone was trading and had no traces online.
    Honestly martin, not a trace. zilch.  Looked on every main social media I could, even those I do not use I sat with a friend and spent an hour digging, company name, even the guys name, nothing. On anything.  But i do know he exists.

This alone rang alarm bells for me, if I cant find any trace of his so called clothing company, then how is he trading or why does he need a company, and more importantly, why is he using my address?? 
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    elsien said:
    Open the mail, (and before people start yelling about prosecution, if you’re not doing anything fraud like with it, nobody cares) to see if there’s anything debt related, then bin the rest.

I’m presuming that if important post stops arriving he’ll eventually have to do something about it.
    Hi Elsien - I've opened a few letters over the last month, all in official brown envelopes, either stamped HMRC or companies house, all have just details of this new company hes created.  At first I started crossing through my address and returning to sender with 'not at this address' across the front, but they still arrive.

The last thing I want is for him to use my address for something like a business loan or credit and then disappear into thin air.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    26.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any debt is with the person not the address. I had someone take out a mobile contract using my address, someone I’d never heard of. It didn’t cause me any major problems. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few decades ago I received 2 or 3 letters over a few months addressed to Company A from Company B asking for a credit reference for Company C. I had no idea who Company A was and as far as I was aware none of my near neighbours had a company in this name and as the name of the street where I lived was fairly unique, it was a mystery how Co. B had linked my address to Co. A other than by given the wrong address by Co. C. I can now, looking back surmise that as I lived at No. 91, perhaps this company may have had its registered address at No.19.

Not as bad as your experience, but a bit unsettling at the time.

If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know the Police say that no crime has been committed, but a dissatisfied customer or a creditor could turn up at your door sometime. That is probably the time to up the ante on the matter.  Would Trading Standards be interested in this one?
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose there is the chance that the previous occupant may know nothing about this and his name as well as his old address have been used fraudulently. 
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all
    Update, CH have written to me at my home address after I filled in a RP07 form, and i need to send them some evidence of me living here, such as a couple of utility bills etc so ill get them sent off tomorrow and hopefully that will be the end of it 

fingers crossed