Domestic RHI after flooding

I installed an air source heat pump in 2019 and started to receive domestic RHI payments.  In 2020 my house was flooded so the outside heat pump was beyond repair & I was unable to live in the house. 

I'm back in the house with a new heat pump but my RHI payments have now been stopped as I was out of the house for more than 180 days and I didn't inform them - strangely the contents of section 8 & 9 of an RHI agreement were not at the forefront of my mind.  I've complained to Ofgem and they are unwilling to budge as they say they have no discretion for the reason for non reporting.  I now have to get another meter added (at my own expense) to show it is in use.  This doesn't seem in line with Ofgem's aim of protecting customers (especially the vulnerable) and to benefit of cleaner environment.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do or am I stuck with having to get another meter and paying the electric to run it?  Even getting the meter might not resolve this as I'm still waiting on my insurer to provide a certificate for an install.  I could write another post on the insurance problems and the condition of my signed off house.    

Matt

Comments

• Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,144 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What meter is it that you don't have?  Electricity meters are remarkably cheap and cost virtually nothing to run.  I don't know much about heat meters but they appear to cost from £200 upwards and I would doubt that running costs are significant.

I get an email each quarter reminding me of my RHI payment and have to submit an annual declaration.  Surely that email, let alone the declaration, might bring the thought that you weren't actually using the heat pump towards the forefront of your mind?  
    Reed
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I would guess that, if like me, you got an e-mail once a quarter together with a wodge of money into your bank account for the RHI and you were obviously aware that you were not actually using the heatpump then you really should have investigated what the correct procedure should be rather than just trousering the cash.

I'm not belittling the undoubted stress of having your place flooded, fighingt with the insurance company and anyone else but if you didn't abide with the rules for claiming it then there really isn't any leeway for OFGEM to allow you any flexibilty. 

The rules are the rules and if you dont follow them to the letter then you lose the benefit. (and TBH that's how it should be to avoid fraud etc).

I'm guessing that there are also rules for the cessation and restoration of RHI which again, they have no opportunity to "bend" but to follow and, if that now requires the installation of a heatmeter, then that's what you've got to do.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Reed_Richards
    edited 6 July 2021 at 8:53AM
    Just a thought, as this is a new heat pump does it reset the clock for RHI payments allowing you to claim for 7 years after it has been installed?
    Reed
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There does seem to be a process for replacements during the RHI lifecycle - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2021/01/decision_document_replacement_product_declaration_form_25012021.pdf

However it will probably take a lot more effort to determine what happens in the case of total destruction or a heating unit.

It's possible that if the heatpump was replaced by the insurance company then it may be considered as an extenstion of the existing RHI contract, rather than a completely new installation and therefore the subject of a new RHI contract

The problem with any of these bureaucratic processes is that there is no consideration for stuff that hasn't been envisaged and therefore no one knows how to deal with it. They can't or don't make a decison in case it comes back and bites them.

It's probably a case of writing a carefully worded letter with supporting documentation from the insurance company explaining the situation rather than trying to get sense out of someone in a call centre or on the end of a telephone.

I dont think that it's something any of us can suggest because, although we may have a sensible opinion of what should happen, opinions or common sense aren't what happens in the real world.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • The flood took place less than 12 months after install so I hadn't done an annual declaration before.  When the anniversary came, it was emailed to the wrong email address - they used a '-' instead of an '_' so I wasn't aware.  I've never had emails every quarter either. 

The need for an annual declaration was not mentioned in the sales pitch as it was sold as a grant to offset against the initial outlay for the system.  As far as I was aware, I was going to replace like for like and the payments were still due to offset the initial outlay.  I can't check paperwork as a lot of it went under water in the flood.

I've got the replacement form mentioned and this is with my insurers/builders.  It is proving difficult to get this back and without it I can't get the RHI payments anyway.
  • Reed_Richards
    Minutes after I applied online for my RHI I got an email reply.  I filled out the form online late at night and the reply was so fast the process must be automated.  This is a part
    Thank you for applying to join the Domestic RHI.
    We're pleased to let you know that your application was successful. The first of your Domestic RHI payments is expected to be made to your nominated bank account within one week of 29/03/2021 

and three months later

Your Domestic RHI payment of £XXX.21 has now been dispatched to your nominated bank account. You should receive this payment within 5 working days.
    Remember that to continue receiving Domestic RHI payments you need to be complying with your ongoing obligations. For example, you need to notify us if you move house or if your system is broken and not producing heat. Failure to meet any of these obligations can result in your payments being stopped.
    A flood is a terrible thing to happen to you and I'm sure you feel this issue is just compounding your troubles but something must have gone wrong with your initial application if you were not receiving these emails.  The ongoing obligations link is pretty clear and you are reminded with every payment (if you actually get the email).

If you got the first email but not the subsequent ones then there was human error transcribing your email address and that might be the basis for some sort of appeal. 

Reed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure