Arggh! Garage delaying warrenty work

Options
Blowsbubbles
Blowsbubbles Posts: 48 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 28 June 2021 at 11:43AM in Motoring
Hi all.
I'm a bit angry after speaking to my garage but will try not to rant to you lovely folk as hoping for some advice... 
My van has been misbehaving been in /out of garage on a monthly basis with different thing done everytime and problem still not solved. (revs drop when driving) 
Latest was clutch (I think unessasary) and after picking it up felt awful. Terrible drive, couldn't get into gear. Took back and they said master cylinder; changed... still awful. Took back they said all fine (took them 3 working days to look at it). Then as I drove away clutch went 🤬.
They've now had a further 5 working days to sort clutch.. Its under warranty (the garage's own for approved parts). and every day I ring and they haven't done it and I'm told tomorrow.
I'm really getting annoyed for this, refurbishing house and really need my van, plus I live 30 mile round trip from work. So life is pretty hard.
Van isn't drivable, they don't have any courtesy vehicles.
Is there anything I can do or just a sitting duck waiting for them to bother? 
(the only option I can think is hire a breakdown to take away get done at another garage and I then have to pay another £700 for work that should be under warrenty argggh) 

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of warranty are we talking about?

Manufacturer's new-vehicle warranty?
    Manufacturer's approved-used warranty?
    Some other commercial third-party used-vehicle warranty?
    A back-street garage's verbal "We'll see you right, mate."?
  • Blowsbubbles
    Options
    AdrianC said:

Third party (not backstreet). garage warrenty for approved parts on new clutch and master cylinder 
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,977 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2021 at 11:57AM
    Options
    I would give them a call and say that you want it back fixed on Wednesday evening. Tell them you are coming for it at 4pm and if it is not ready, you will be suing them for the repair and all your costs, such as getting it towed to somewhere that will fix it. Take them a Letter before Action before 4pm today, put in your letter what you told them over the phone. They have had enough time to do the work and should be prioritising it, e.g. by working into the night if they don't want to put other customers out. 

If you have home insurance, check to see if you have legal expenses cover.  If you do, call the legal helpline before calling the garage.  
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC said:

Third party (not backstreet). garage warrenty for approved parts on new clutch and master cylinder 
    So they may well be awaiting approval from the warranty company. Clutch parts are usually excluded as "wear and tear", so they will have to do some work to persuade them.

The job should be doable at any garage approved by the warranty company, though.
  • Blowsbubbles
    Blowsbubbles Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2021 at 12:08PM
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    AdrianC said:

So they may well be awaiting approval from the warranty company. Clutch parts are usually excluded as "wear and tear", so they will have to do some work to persuade them.

The job should be doable at any garage approved by the warranty company, though.
    If so shouldn't they told me that? Everyday I ring and everyday told too busy and they haven't had chance they'll do tomorrow 😭
  • Blowsbubbles
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    I would give them a call and say that you want it back fixed on Wednesday evening. Tell them you are coming for it at 4pm and if it is not ready, you will be suing them for the repair and all your costs, such as getting it towed to somewhere that will fix it. Take them a Letter before Action before 4pm today, put in your letter what you told them over the phone. They have had enough time to do the work and should be prioritising it, e.g. by working into the night if they don't want to put other customers out. 

If you have home insurance, check to see if you have legal expenses cover.  If you do, call the legal helpline before calling the garage.  
    Thanks that really useful. It's there a reason for saying Wednesday rather than Tuesday? Also would it be my home insurance or van insurance for the legal cover 
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    Options
    Was the van a business purchase?
  • Ibrahim5
    Ibrahim5 Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like the garage haven't got a clue what they are doing.
  • Blowsbubbles
    Options
    m0bov said:
    Was the van a business purchase?
    Nope. Don't use for business have a van as surf/kayack/cycle so like the space 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2021 at 11:39AM
    Options
    delete 123
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts