Driving to different supermarkets to save?

edited 27 September at 8:21AM in Gone Off!
49 replies 3.6K views
1235»

Replies

• mamanmaman Forumite
    25.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikb said:
    It doesn't sound like *that* much running around, more like taking advantage of minor detours to an existing (inconvenience) journey.

Driving to a neighbouring county 3 or 4 days a week on the offchance of some bargain food bits, that would be less sensible!
    Assuming that the places in the neighbouring county are better value or choice than what's available locally then 'killing two birds with one stone' by getting the DH to do the shopping on the way home from work makes sense to me.

Our only Morrison's branch is the furthest supermarket away from my home. I wouldn't make a special trip but call in when I'm in the area for other reasons. 
  • edited 8 August at 7:58PM
    MrsStepfordMrsStepford Forumite
    804 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 8 August at 7:58PM
    He will be working in next county several days per week. I'm only planning minor detours on return leg.. For example, wedon't have a McColls here, but they are doing Safeway 4 large gluten free British beef burgers, 2 packs for £5 to 24th and one of the towns he's going to, has one. 

As for the garden centres and farm shops, he would rather sit in open air with decent coffee than have fast food stuff surrounded by people. 
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    He will be working in next county several days per week. I'm only planning minor detours on return leg.. For example, wedon't have a McColls here, but they are doing Safeway 4 large gluten free British beef burgers, 2 packs for £5 to 24th and one of the towns he's going to, has one. 

As for the garden centres and farm shops, he would rather sit in open air with decent coffee than have fast food stuff surrounded by people. 
    I'm totally with you! Garden centres with outdoor space came into their own as "destinations" last year. And they often serve very decent coffee and even better cake :)
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • edited 10 August at 5:11PM
    JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10 August at 5:11PM
    I visit my local Aldi about one week in four (to pick up all the cheap stuff) - then go to the Sainsbury's superstore (every week) 0.5 miles further away to top up my shopping list.  Both are within 3 miles (in a straight line) of where I live.  Likewise my husband shops in our local Tesco/Lidl for our elderly neighbours every week.  I'm not a fan of either, but he knows which Clubcard rewards items to buy!

I prefer Aldi and Sainsbury's over Lidl and Tesco as the former both support British farmers and sell British meat.  I'm happy to be corrected regarding that - though nothing worse than a New Zealand lamb chop.....
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2021 - £1 a day challenge £778/£638.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366..
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    25.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JGB1955 said:
    I visit my local Aldi about one week in four (to pick up all the cheap stuff) - then go to the Sainsbury's superstore (every week) 0.5 miles further away to top up my shopping list.  Both are within 3 miles (in a straight line) of where I live.  Likewise my husband shops in our local Tesco/Lidl for our elderly neighbours every week.  I'm not a fan of either, but he knows which Clubcard rewards items to buy!

I prefer Aldi and Sainsbury's over Lidl and Tesco as the former both support British farmers and sell British meat.  I'm happy to be corrected regarding that - though nothing worse than a New Zealand lamb chop.....
    That geography sounds almost identical to my shopping trip. The difference is that I go to Aldi every week and only occasionally to Sainsbury's. 🤔
  • PetriixPetriix Forumite
    885 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I've taken to driving to Lidl and plugging in the EV for a free charge. Then I walk the 10 minutes down to Aldi and Home Bargains to pick up my regular shopping before popping in to Lidl for anything that Aldi didn't have and a few treats.

Occasionally my partner will make a special trip to Sainsburys for everything which can't be bought at the cheaper stores. I've also been drawn to Tesco for free charging while camping nearby, but the prices seem pretty astronomical in comparison to what I'm used to paying. 
  • mumfmumf Forumite
    302 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Petriix said:
    I've taken to driving to Lidl and plugging in the EV for a free charge. Then I walk the 10 minutes down to Aldi and Home Bargains to pick up my regular shopping before popping in to Lidl for anything that Aldi didn't have and a few treats.

Occasionally my partner will make a special trip to Sainsburys for everything which can't be bought at the cheaper stores. I've also been drawn to Tesco for free charging while camping nearby, but the prices seem pretty astronomical in comparison to what I'm used to paying. 
    My word! I shall have to try putting petrol in my car at Tesco and see if I can drive off without paying! Wish I could afford an electric vehicle.
  • PetriixPetriix Forumite
    885 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    mumf said:
    Petriix said:

My word! I shall have to try putting petrol in my car at Tesco and see if I can drive off without paying! Wish I could afford an electric vehicle.
    It's no more of a perk than the 'save 10p per litre' type offers. You can get about £1 worth of electricity in an hour so it basically covers your fuel to drive there and back.

I'm finding the switch to EV to be cost-neutral: the increase in our mortgage payments basically matches the amount we're saving in running costs. 
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Petriix said:
    mumf said:
    Petriix said:

It's no more of a perk than the 'save 10p per litre' type offers. You can get about £1 worth of electricity in an hour so it basically covers your fuel to drive there and back.

I'm finding the switch to EV to be cost-neutral: the increase in our mortgage payments basically matches the amount we're saving in running costs. 
    I think I'm going to give it a couple of years and wait a) until prices drop, and b) when I have two pennies to rub together.

Having said that I barely use the car, and certainly not for supermarket shopping.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.