Driving to different supermarkets to save?

in Food Shopping & Groceries
37 replies 2.6K views

Replies

• 2childmum22childmum2 Forumite
    98 Posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I tend to shop mainly at Aldi with a top up at Asda or Tesco for things I can't get there - but the Asda is literally next door to the Aldi, and the Tesco is on the way home, so there is no extra travel involved.  The only extra I do occasionally is to Morrisons for their soya ice-cream (80p a tub) but that is only 10 min drive away, or Lidl if their muesli or filter coffee (both enjoyed by DH) is on special offer, but again, only 10 mins away
    If I was having to drive distances to get to different shops i don't think I would bother

Does soya ice-cream taste nice?
    I really like the Morrison's chocolate one - quite rich.  And Swedish Glace do a nice raspberry one, at about 4 times the price of the Morrisons.  Others I'm less keen on.
  • spurdog1spurdog1 Forumite
    58 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I do tend to check the prices before, on their APP (though their app or store are not necessarily the same (Beware)).

I go where the need is, Sainsburys (their goose fat roasties are sublime), but Tesco(only) has small Pinot grigio-with the kangaroo. Wife likes it but only one glass. Morrisons is cheaper but the food, no comment. So I vary from week to week, quite naturally.
  • MrsStepfordMrsStepford Forumite
    756 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If you go to another supermarket to save money on offers, it needs to be on the route or you could be spending more on fuel/fares than you save.

On the other hand, if you are taking kids out for a day, do a recce and see if you can call into a bigger branch or different supermarket on return journey. 

If you're hoping for an air-conditioned foray, please be aware that most supermarkets have turned off aircon so the chiller aisle is the place to be. However if it gets hot outside, the chillers have to work harder and the aisle gets warmer. 
    Australia DOESN'T have a deal with the EU. 
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to shop mainly at Aldi with a top up at Asda or Tesco for things I can't get there - but the Asda is literally next door to the Aldi, and the Tesco is on the way home, so there is no extra travel involved.  The only extra I do occasionally is to Morrisons for their soya ice-cream (80p a tub) but that is only 10 min drive away, or Lidl if their muesli or filter coffee (both enjoyed by DH) is on special offer, but again, only 10 mins away
    If I was having to drive distances to get to different shops i don't think I would bother

I really like the Morrison's chocolate one - quite rich.  And Swedish Glace do a nice raspberry one, at about 4 times the price of the Morrisons.  Others I'm less keen on.
    I'm not a fan of Swedish Glace (only tried the vanilla and vowed never again).
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • 2childmum22childmum2 Forumite
    98 Posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

I'm not a fan of Swedish Glace (only tried the vanilla and vowed never again).
    I don't like the vanilla much, but the the raspberry is better

• Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its become difficult to do this since the demise of MySupermarket. 
    https://www.trolley.co.uk/

Try this - it's probably the best of a small number of replacements for MySupermarket.  Prices from all the major supermarkets, and a few others.
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    @Doc_N thank you for the link - I will need to look at it as I miss My Supermarket terribly. I buy very few branded items and those that I do (like a specific toothpaste) I will buy in bulk whenever I see they are on offer as I have long ago found that they will always be on offer somewhere! I am fortunate in that Aldi, Farmfoods, Iceland, small Asda, Lidl and Sainsburys are all within walking distance but I do tend to drive as I can't carry much these days. Why pay 50% more if you have the time to check around?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • mandy47mandy47 Forumite
    80 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm quite lucky. I live within walking distance ( 2 mile round trip) of Farmfoods, iceland, wilko and a good market. I work in a shopping centre so have access to various shops/deals daily. My journey home takes me past aldi. I don't have to consider petrol costs. 
    Like I said I'm lucky.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    25K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm another lucky one in that I have all the major supermarkets, so called discounters and places like Iceland, Farmfoods, B&M, Home Bargains, £ shops etc. all within a 3 mile radius of my home. I do a weekly shop in Aldi and used to visit the others occasionally to stock up on store cupboard items.

Unfortunately I'm now finding that there are very few bargains to be had in these 'bargain' shops. In many cases, stock is low too., particularly on the items that I buy. There still seem to be plenty of biscuits and cakes around but that's not what I want. I used to stock up on tinned pulses, jars of pickled beetroot and red cabbage and dried dates in Home Bargains but now the prices have risen and/or they are unavailable. Shelves look very empty with lots of gaps or fillers. 

I do use trolley.co.uk and was lucky last week as they pointed me to a half price offer in Sainsbury's that is useful  but I tried an offer in Iceland a few weeks ago and the website must have been out of date as the item was back to full price. 

Overall I'd say the best value regular shopping is to be found in Aldi or Lidl.  

• JaneDoeJohnDoeJaneDoeJohnDoe Forumite
    296 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Not done a so called weekly shop for many many years. Budget will not allow.
    Always cherry picked offers from all shops.
    In these Covid times have mostly deliveries (personal choice re safety) supplemented with odd Coop local shop as includes P.O. or Aldi/Lidl visit at extreme quiet times.
    Coop 'honest value' is reasonable Generic Farm stuff so happy with that.
    Currently have about 2 to 3 deliveries a month. Again cherry picking offers and buying in bulk. The basics like eggs or bread roughly same price anywhere.
    Some supermarkets sell items can not get in others so all of Asda/Sainsbury's/Waitrose have delivered to my door. Tesco delivery charge is too high for my budget so they get a click n collect once in a while.
    Amazon has come to the rescue too with bulk buying. Some really good prices on things I need. Also direct from manufacturers like Tiptree for Jam. Morrison's only came once thru Amazon. Choice too limited I felt.