Driving to different supermarkets to save?

Comments

• briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    I tend to do about 80% of my shopping in Lidl with the rest after work (supermarket) or if I happen to be in the area with a different supermarket. When I do go elsewhere its for things like yoghurts as Lidl do a limited flavour range or ginger ale which they don't do.

Download the Aldi and Lidl apps. If you have a Lidl near you, download the Lidl Plus app and at the moment - til Wednesday, there's 15% off coupon for ice creams and lollies.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Very similar thread here:

I'll say the same here as on that thread:
    Pollycat said:

what value you place on your time?

• Well.. it really depends doesn't it! :smile:

Let's say by spending an hour more a week, I can save £15. That's over £700 a year, that's a nice get away :smiley:
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 June 2021 at 11:05AM
    Depends how far away X is from Y and from Z, if other side of town and it means using petrol, does the use of petrol and tyre wear etc outweigh the cost of the savings.

Even better if you pass 1 or 2 on your way home from work as you could do the shopping then.

I dont imagine the 3 would be close together so you wont use petrol etc going from 1 to the other, coukd you not get a delivery from Tesco for what you buy from there.

I go to Aldi or Lidl as I know I can be in and out quicker than say Sainsburys plus I dont dilly dally like people do in Sainsburys for example.
  • Pollycat
    Well.. it really depends doesn't it! :smile:

Let's say by spending an hour more a week, I can save £15. That's over £700 a year, that's a nice get away :smiley:

Then that's fine.
    Speaking personally, I wouldn't want to visit 3 stores spending an hour extra on top of my usual shopping time to save £15.00 per week (even if that is possible).
    I appreciate this is a money saving website but I value my time.
    Are you including the cost of petrol? Even though you say it is 'not an issue', if you are travelling to stores not closest to you, the cost will still be a factor.

I'm not sure if you are planning to visit 3 stores each week or store X in week 1, store Y in week 2, store Z in week 3.
    If it's the former, I'm not sure I'd believe the 1 hour more a week.
    What will you do if the products you want to buy from store x are unavailable?

If you think it's worth it, do it.
  • 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I tend to shop mainly at Aldi with a top up at Asda or Tesco for things I can't get there - but the Asda is literally next door to the Aldi, and the Tesco is on the way home, so there is no extra travel involved.  The only extra I do occasionally is to Morrisons for their soya ice-cream (80p a tub) but that is only 10 min drive away, or Lidl if their muesli or filter coffee (both enjoyed by DH) is on special offer, but again, only 10 mins away
    If I was having to drive distances to get to different shops i don't think I would bother

• Pollycat
    For anybody who is confused, 2 threads have been merged.
    I mention another similar thread in my post 2nd from top on page 2.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    I tend to shop mainly at Aldi with a top up at Asda or Tesco for things I can't get there - but the Asda is literally next door to the Aldi, and the Tesco is on the way home, so there is no extra travel involved.  The only extra I do occasionally is to Morrisons for their soya ice-cream (80p a tub) but that is only 10 min drive away, or Lidl if their muesli or filter coffee (both enjoyed by DH) is on special offer, but again, only 10 mins away
    If I was having to drive distances to get to different shops i don't think I would bother

Does soya ice-cream taste nice?
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • I think it depends on how far you are travelling. Because if it's only an extra 10 minutes then I think going to a cheaper supermarket for items is a good idea but if you are going out of your way to go to these other shops then it's not worth it because you are spending more money travelling to get there, so in the end you'll always be spending the same amount if not more money going to a cheaper store. 
  • Good idea to do a "round robin" and visit a couple of stores on the way to the main one you like and get the deals they have as you go.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback