Driving to different supermarkets to save?

in Food Shopping & Groceries
49 replies 3.5K views

Replies

• User_0207User_0207 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I too miss MySupermarket, but what I've done if it helps anyone, is to set up my favourites on the 4 online supermarket delivery sites I use, Ocado, Morrisons, Sainsburys & Asda, (bear with me, it takes a bit of effort to set up, but worth it if you have the time, or desire to do it and then it's easy to follow once set up).
    When I book a delivery I go into Ocado, choose my favourites, then look at the other 3 supermarkets and if what I want are on offer or cheaper elsewhere, I choose the supermarket that gives me the best prices for my order, add my regulars, like milk, bread etc to get it to the required minimum for click & collect or delivery.
    Obviously you can't usually get everything cheaper on one site only, so you have to carry stuff forward to the next order....
    I have a delivery or click and collect about every 10 days so can utilise the offers from the different supermarkets every 10 days or so.
    If this helps anyone, great, if not, sorry to have wasted your time :o
  • edited 18 July at 10:05AM
    pokorapokora Forumite
    111 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    edited 18 July at 10:05AM
    Many factors to consider in each case. After been huntering offers and deals for so long you reach a point where you start value more your time and health if your income is not tight. In my case i haven't a car so using public transport make you appreciate before and more.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this thread is actually going to become more relevant because food inflation is set to rocket. Its already happening in some parts of the world and we are next, but in a way its long overdue. I wouldn't spend my money on sweet treats if they weren't so inexpensive.

This programme made me see my shopping habits for what they are:  . If the world is to look after its health, we need to eat a lot less.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this thread is actually going to become more relevant because food inflation is set to rocket. Its already happening in some parts of the world and we are next, but in a way its long overdue. I wouldn't spend my money on sweet treats if they weren't so inexpensive.

This programme made me see my shopping habits for what they are:  . If the world is to look after its health, we need to eat a lot less.

Some people need to eat a lot less of the wrong food and more of the right food.
    We eat fairly healthily.
    I recently made a moussaka with 500 gm of beef mince. It made 4 portions plus a base of 4 portions of meat mixture to go into the freezer. That's 62.5 grams of red meat per portion.

• cattomcattom Forumite
    213 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I don't think its worth going all over the place,here there and every where just to save a few quid. I live on my own now, and quite honestly what few bits n pieces I need, I just get from morrisons on my way home from work. for me its the easiest and simplest way. 
  • MrsStepfordMrsStepford Forumite
    785 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    User_0207 I haven't gotten to the stage of spreadsheets (I hate Excel) and frankly here in Kent, it's a case of buying it if you can get it, with all the shortages. Having been shielding since Feb 2020, everything I buy has to be delivered. Some supermarkets have separate stocks for online orders and in-store shoppers, some don't. I suspect that online shoppers are getting the short straw on availability, to increase shop stock. 

I am doing what I call cascade shopping, booking two slots a week instead of one and using two different supermarkets. I halve my budget between the two. If I can't get tomatoes from A, I add them to B. If B doesn't have them, I have to order from A (or try C), the following week. 

I miss MySupermarket, too. I joined Costco (online) and with that and Amazon Prime, I've been able to make savings on a few bigger packs. 
  • harenghareng Forumite
    534 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Have been doing it for the last 15 months after acriely avoiding the local large supermarket. We take it on rotation, one week may choose Morrisons and Home and Bargains, B&M, Farmfoods with diesel each week from Asda.
    We just alter which way we come home, each adds nothing more than 2 mile detour around 15 miles away.

• MrsStepfordMrsStepford Forumite
    785 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Husband has been seconded to neighbouring county and doing three or four days a week there. I have put together a list of farm shops, garden centres with cafes and independent butchers near the places he has to go, now I'm doing the same for supermarkets close to motorways. 
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Husband has been seconded to neighbouring county and doing three or four days a week there. I have put together a list of farm shops, garden centres with cafes and independent butchers near the places he has to go, now I'm doing the same for supermarkets close to motorways. 
    That sounds like a lot of running round for groceries. Is it actually worth it?
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • mikbmikb Forumite
    443 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It doesn't sound like *that* much running around, more like taking advantage of minor detours to an existing (inconvenience) journey.

Driving to a neighbouring county 3 or 4 days a week on the offchance of some bargain food bits, that would be less sensible!