Windows 10 Update KB5003637

The above update installed today has made mincemeat of my taskbar >:)
Just wondering if anyone else has had problems.
For the time being I've uninstalled it and everything back to normal pro tem.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2021 at 8:25PM
    "mincemeat of my taskbar"?  What does this even mean?
  • "mincemeat of my taskbar"?  What does this even mean?

The word "mincemeat" is a reasonably common colloquial expression which I deliberately used in an informal way to convey the damage which was created to my task bar as a consequence of the update.
    In more technical terms, it caused the icons on the right corner of the taskbar to become unstable and merge into each other making them impossible to use.
  • Neil_Jones
    edited 9 June 2021 at 9:11PM
    "mincemeat of my taskbar"?  What does this even mean?

The word "mincemeat" is a reasonably common colloquial expression which I deliberately used in an informal way to convey the damage which was created to my task bar as a consequence of the update.
    In more technical terms, it caused the icons on the right corner of the taskbar to become unstable and merge into each other making them impossible to use.

Not on my system it didn't. 

• Just as a matter of interest, because I think it may be relevant, was your "News and Interests" feature turned off?
    Apparently some users are reporting that this could be the cause of the taskbar issue which apparently appeared earlier in the month with update KB5003214. I think this was an optional update which I didn't bother to install.
  • Neil_Jones
    I haven't touched it.  That's its default state.  Only appeared when I installed the update you're complaining about.  I don't have KB5003214 as ever being installed.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I had a w10 update that put some weather nonsense in the bottom right of the taskbar - a quick google showed me how to remove it.
  • Neil_Jones
    J_B said:
    I had a w10 update that put some weather nonsense in the bottom right of the taskbar - a quick google showed me how to remove it.

That's the same as this one.  Right-click on taskbar -> point to News and interests.
    It's apparently been there since June 2020 but for some reason was only enabled recently.  Also needs Chromium Edge, which was applied during an April update if you didn't have it already and was part of the 20H2 update last year.
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's a good idea to do a restore point before installing updates as they have a tendency to muck certain things up.
  • Just as an update. Switched on "News and interests", reinstalled KB5003637, and everything now fine.
    As a further comment in reply to Laz123, I did actually attempt to restore to a previous point when everything was working fine, and the process completed with a "restore failed" message. First time that's ever happened to me as far as I can recall!
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    KB5003214 was the preview version of the KB5003637 that you are referring to, you would only get the former if you are on the insider updates.

Anyway the same problem was reported with the preview version - and seems to be linked to the News and Interests feature:

https://betanews.com/2021/06/01/kb5003214-update-for-windows-10-is-causing-taskbar-problems/

I've been using this feature since last summer as it was in the insider releases and not had any issues with it - however it might be worth disabling it to see if it helps.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills