Policy Expert canceling my Car Insurance

Options
Hi all.
Hope I am not being far to pigheaded here. I received an email today in my Spam folder from Policy Expert. Stating that they were canceling my Car Insurance as on the 1st of June. Due to not providing them documents to prove who I am. I have been with them for over 7 months and have never had any issues. The email is the first email I have seen from them other than my policy documents.

I have contacted them and have stated that the email looks suspicious and that it did not come from their domain.
They are want lots of information from me that I fell they do not need.
Please see below for email
------------
We emailed you recently, asking you to send us more information about you and your vehicle, by 25 May 2021​​.

Unfortunately, we haven't received all this information so your insurance policy (and all optional extras) will be cancelled on 01 June 2021​​.

The information that we didn't receive was:

Proof of address.
This must be one of the following, dated within the past 2 months:
- Utility bill
- Bank or building society statement 
- An NHS or HMRC letter or pay slip
Please note we cannot accept: mobile phone bills, a tv license, invoices or insurance documents as proof of address

Driving licence for all drivers.
We need to see the driving history for all drivers. The easiest way to do this is:
- Visit the government website:and click on "Start Now"
- Enter your driving licence number, National Insurance number and post code
- View the tab "Get a check code" and click on "Get a code" 
- Email the code to us
- Front and back of photocard
Please do this for all drivers on the policy.

Vehicle proof of ownership (V5) document.
Please send us a scan or pictures of pages 1 and 2 of this document.

We need to remind you that:
- it is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to use a vehicle on a public highway without a valid insurance cover
- it is also an offence to be the registered keeper of a vehicle without valid insurance cover, unless your vehicle is declared as "SORN" to the DVLA and kept off the public highway.

If you have any questions please simply reply to this email or give us a call, we're here to help.

Kind Regards,
The Validation Team

Call us - 0330 0600 602
Email us - motor@policyexpert.co.uk

---------
I think they are requesting far to much PII. All checks would have happened on starting the policy

What options do I have and should I contact the FCA ?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So is it their email or not? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • stuffedfoll
    stuffedfoll Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry I should have been clear. When I called them. They have said it is from them.  It came from a Zendeak email not from their Poicyexpert domain. On their web site they have a Phishing Policy that states they only send from their domain. 

Any way this is the only email I have received and it was marked as Spam.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You prove you’ve answered their questions honestly or you cancel the policy now because you don’t want to. Last thing you want is for them to cancel it. 

Nothing asked for is irrelevant and so, or have more PII than they have, the FCA wouldn’t be interested even if they did look at consumer concerns 
  • stuffedfoll
    edited 26 May 2021 at 8:21PM
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    You prove you’ve answered their questions honestly or you cancel the policy now because you don’t want to. Last thing you want is for them to cancel it. 

Nothing asked for is irrelevant and so, or have more PII than they have, the FCA wouldn’t be interested even if they did look at consumer concerns 

Thanks for the information. Who would I complain about this ? from the Email I they have already taken the action to cancel the insureance. I have not done anything worng here.
    They are asing for this information if they already have it is silly. They do verifaction checks when starting a poilcy.
  • elsien
    Options
    If they already have it then what is the harm in giving it again? Yes, it may be irritating but you really don’t want a cancelled insurance on your record. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• stuffedfoll
    Options
    elsien said:
    If they already have it then what is the harm in giving it again? Yes, it may be irritating but you really don’t want a cancelled insurance on your record. 

My issue is they are canceling it. This is the first email I have seen. 
  • elsien
    Options
    Sorry, I missed that bit. I thought you had till 1st June to provide it. 

• stuffedfoll
    Options
    elsien said:
    The emails states "Unfortunately, we haven't received all this information so your insurance policy (and all optional extras) will be cancelled on 01 June 2021​​."
    I am a loss here at what to do. I have not done anything wrong.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sandtree said:

Thanks for the information. Who would I complain about this ? from the Email I they have already taken the action to cancel the insureance. I have not done anything worng here.
    They are asing for this information if they already have it is silly. They do verifaction checks when starting a poilcy.
    Complaints get escalated to the Financial Ombudsman but you must first either have a final response from the company or have registered your complaint 8 weeks ago (whichever is sooner)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsien said:
    The emails states "Unfortunately, we haven't received all this information so your insurance policy (and all optional extras) will be cancelled on 01 June 2021​​."
    I am a loss here at what to do. I have not done anything wrong.
    Send them all the information they need as a matter of greatest urgency so that they can get it processed and not cancel your policy.  Remember that Monday is a Bank Holiday, so you only have until Friday to submit this.  Bend over backwards to get them on side as you really absolutely do not want a cancelled policy on your record.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback