What is Your Why ?

Options

Comments

• MollyBear
    Options
    My why is because of never having anything, always
    telling the kids 'no', making them suffer by doing without, having to rely on others to buy my kids clothes at xmas and birthdays cos i cant afford to clothe them ((blush)) feeling constantly stressed and never seeing my hubby as i work nights and him days! He earns good money yet the debts suck it all back up, we never go on holidays or days out, my kids have never had a birthday party (my oldest is 11 now). :(

The list is endles really isn't it! lol
  • always_amazed
    Options
    my 'why' is because I now realise how quickly circumstances can change, and I want to be in a situation where I can handle anything life throws at me (this is hard to do when relying on credit to get you through everything!!)

I want to be free to enjoy life, and to have the freedom to change career; at the moment I don't feel I could leave my job.
    LBM : August 2007
    my debts: less than this time last year....!
    DFW Nerd Club #706I'm Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • Actiongirl_2
    Options
    Great post OP...

I came on here about two years ago, ostensibly to look for bargains (magazines, tesco vouchers etc) but also because I love the thrill of something saved, or a deal done!

But MSE has served me well in so many ways - the OS boards are great when I need to cook something for dinner out of not very much in the fridge, and the travel board has helped with holidays (and I hope I have also helped others).

Now I am about to start maternity leave in January and our salaries will halve as we earnt roughly the same amount...so I need to know how to do more with less (and although I know a lot of the tricks, I will have to apply some discipline!) and also be able to keep a secret "Mummy's bank account" for emergencies and haircuts!!

I also take credit for introducing Lynzpower to MSE who I know has helped tonnes of you!! (morning lynz...xxxx!)
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    I can't quite remember how I found MSE - probably after seeing him on The Wright Stuff.

When I first came here I was quite smug about not being in debt ... and then realised that our One Account mortgage was gradually going up rather than being paid off. Since then we've taken control of our finances and changed to a 'normal' mortgage at a good rate, but we increased our mortgage to pay for a house extension, and we are at the limit of what we can afford so we have to be so careful not to overspend even though there is lots still left to do here. I guess I come here to keep my mind focussed on what we are trying to do.
  • Lucy1982_2
    Lucy1982_2 Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Options
    Why am I here.

To help myself, learn to budget and become money savvy all at the same time.

Oh and to make some friends along the way!
    Current debt - £16,300 :(
    Debt at worst 17/03/2011 - £18,067.62:eek::eek:
    :ANot going anywhere else, ever again :A
  • madmich666
    Options
    Just thought I'd add my bit.... Im here paying off my debts because 1. we have to remortgage in 2 1/2 yrs time (on fixed rate now and want a good deal) 2. at 21 I owe alot and i should be having fun right now like all my mates and 3. once debt is paid and we have a good mortgage deal (if there are any around in a few years time) or paid extra off the mortgage I would like to have children, spend time watching them grow up and if i get better with money (which I will do with the money saving tips on here) i can pass good saving habits on to my kids.
    DFW Nerd No: 758 :cool: Proud to be dealing with my debts!:T Proud mum to Bon-Scott my amazing 10/10/10 baby :p
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Options
    Great thread OP,
    Why am I here?...well being SE ...and having no savings behind us..and nearly on the edge...decided to come over here and have a look...(thankfully)...never missed a payment on anything ever or been late so wasn't as desperate as some...knew I had to sort things out....basically want to get rid of this debt and then to be rid of my mortgage(about £46k at the moment)...so that we only have normal household bills to pay...and that we have the freedom to work less hours if we want and to do what we want as long as it's in the cheapest possible way..
    Why spend more than we need to on anything..
  • robotgirl_2
    Options
    8 inches! :D

Is that what you're saving up to buy yourself, SS? ;)

x
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    Debts at Highest: £7600.07
    Charges Reclaimed: RBS -£3050
    Debts paid off: £6374.86
    Debt Free: February 2008 (!!!!!)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    robotgirl wrote: »
    Is that what you're saving up to buy yourself, SS? ;)

x
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:PMSL robotgirl!!!!

To me it's about choice - to be able to give up a well paid (well, in my eyes!) but stressful job with long hours for something local and have time to enjoy myself.

Only 45 months to go...... :rolleyes:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • LJD1_2
    LJD1_2 Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    Options
    My why is because...I've made some stupid mistakes with my finances, wrong decisions and downright overspending. I didn't want to spend the rest of my life being bad with money so I joined this website and took control. I'm debt free now but still have to make an effort not to overspend. I stay here because I don't want to be in debt again. I want to be mortgage free before my children go to university (if they go) as I don't want debt to fund their education. I've got 10 years to go so I need you guys to keep me on the straight and narrow!
    January budget
    Nothing left!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family