Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

DWP Debt Management Letter - UC Advance - Scam?

edited 10 May at 6:51PM in Benefits & Tax Credits
13 replies 755 views
jrhysjrhys Forumite
43 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 10 May at 6:51PM in Benefits & Tax Credits
Hi

I received a letter today (dated 01/05/21) from DWP Debt Management claiming I owe £1049.90. It requires that I go online and pay or my employer will be contacted / debt collectors engaged. I have never made a claim on UC or any other benefit to my knowledge and so at first I thought this was a scam letter, but googling revealed that others have experienced the same thing and it is most certainly a legitimate letter, albeit caused by fraud: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/14/universal-credit-fraud-scam.

The online "repay-my-debt" process shows me that a UC Advance for this amount was paid on 15th October. I think it was around this time last year that we had our communal post room vandalised, so I suspect someone had stolen some letters providing them enough details to claim a UC advance under my name.

Any ideas what options I have to get this sorted? - I'll start calling the UC number and DWP debt management number tomorrow (they are quieter on Tuesdays apparently). If the fraudsters have done this to me, I suspect others in my building may be next.

Replies