Vanguard noobie.. what now?!

So as cash isa rates are now utter garbage I have just opened up my very first ever S&S isa 

as I know nothing whatsoever about investing and stocks etc I chose a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund as I assumed once I open it - I pretty much don’t need to do anything...?

which suits me just fine 

anyway so just made an initial minimum opening payment of £500 and basically just want to sit back and see how it all works before I stick some more money in - hope to have around £10k in eventually 

so, this is a a daft question but do I actually need to do anything now??! Does the account look after itself or am I supposed to be choosing investments or something?

E.g, when I log in it’s saying under Investments :

“You have no investments, why not consider investing?“

I’m confused... I thought these lifestrategy accounts did all this stuff for you?

im a bit baffled now 

so basically do in just need to shovel more money in and sit back and watch? Or is there other things I HAVE to do?!

Thanks 

Comments

• redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2021 at 3:53PM
    Sounds like you've opened an S&S ISA account, put some money into it but not actually bought any funds.  If you had really bought the LifeStrategy fund it would list it.  You will be able to access a transaction list to see what has happened, it is possible that your request has been submitted but the actual purchase not yet actioned - if this has happened then you won't need to do anything else.

Once you do buy the fund then you are correct, you do nothing else but maybe watch the value going up and down.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • Billycock
    Billycock Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Once you have cash in your account you then have to invest it. Cick invest and add whichever fund you want to your basket and complete  the purchase.
    And yes, from that point you don't have to do anything else. 

• ranciduk
    ranciduk Posts: 666 Forumite
    redpete said:
    Sounds like you've opened a Vanguard S&S ISA account, put some money into it but not actually bought any funds.  If you had really bought the LifeStrategy fund it would list it.

Once you do buy the fund then you are correct, you do nothing else but maybe watch the value going up and down.
    Hi

under Last Transaction it says ‘you have a pending buy order’

When I click View, the lifestrategy is listed there ....?
  • Swoosh84
    Swoosh84 Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2021 at 3:58PM
    Click Transactions on the left first, see if you have a pending transaction going into the Lifestyle fund first.

My money usually sits in its standard ISA account for a couple of days before being paid into the Lifestyle fund.

But to answer your question, yes once its in there just leave it there. Nothing else is needed.

J
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 May 2021 at 3:59PM
    You don't need to do anything else other then a little more research to understand what you've bought and keep making the deposits. But don't worry, you've made a sensible long term choice in Vanguard.

The VLSxx (which VLS fund did you buy, 20, 40, 60, 80?) fund in your ISA is made up of a number of other Vanguard funds. As the value of those funds go up and down Vanguard will automatically buy and sell the funds to keep their relative proportions constant...that is automatic rebalancing.

So keep buying your VLS fund regularly and take a look at the balance every so often, but other than that you can sit back and sip your tipple of choice.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Billycock
    First Post Name Dropper
    ranciduk said:
    redpete said:
    Sounds like you've opened a Vanguard S&S ISA account, put some money into it but not actually bought any funds.  If you had really bought the LifeStrategy fund it would list it.

Hi

under Last Transaction it says ‘you have a pending buy order’

When I click View, the lifestrategy is listed there ....?
    If you have a pending buy order then you've successfully purchased your fund. You have to wait until Vanguard actions your purchase, usually 2-4 business days
  • ranciduk
    Thanks very much all

so in 2-4 days things should become clearer then!

in a few weeks time if I add say £1000 - does this automatically go into the lifestrategy fund? Or do I have to tell it to do that?!

also, how much would you recommend I put in the Available Cash at this stage? Apparently it’s for covering upcoming charges etc?
  • Eyeful
    Eyeful Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Out of interest which share/bond split did you chose to put your money into?
  • ranciduk
    Eyeful said:
    Out of interest which share/bond split did you chose to put your money into?
    It was the 60% equity one
  • Billycock
    First Post Name Dropper

so in 2-4 days things should become clearer then!

Yes around 2-4 business days, not forgetting it's a bank holiday weekend. Vanguard will email you when things are moving.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback