Plusnet three weeks and no router...

Options
Ordered a new contract with them, still no router. According to my order tracker it's being processed. They sent a reply to my message saying they would call me inside 24 hours..they didn't. Paid by credit card for first month can I cancel and find it a better provider? My contract with  old provider ended a week ago.

Comments

• southsidergs
    Options
    Why not just call them & speak to someone, i'm sure they"ll be able to get it sorted quickly
  • The_stingemeister
    Options
    Haven't had the opportunity to be put on hold for 25 minutes recently. It's poor, the onus shouldn't be on the customer to chase them up. Will try them, but going by recent reviews their reputation is on the floor at the moment. What's happened to them? I was with them three years ago and never really had a problem.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could always buy your own router (you can get second hand Home Hub 6 routers fairly cheaply on the likes of Gumtree and eBay), set it up and then keep the Plusnet one when it arrives as a spare.  It has issues sometimes with Wi-Fi, but as its a repackaged Home Hub 5 which also had issues with its wi-fi, hardly surprising.  Most ISP routers are cheap and cheerful so the OP not having one may be doing themselves a favour! :)
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not great service, but I always used a 2nd hand BT home hub with plusnet (before they started sending their version out) as their previous routers were not great. There are guides on plusnet community on what settings to change (easy to do)
  • The_stingemeister
    Options
    I have a Post office router, but phone line is dead now and won't work now contract with them is over. I have an old Plusnet router in a cupboard.

But thats all a bit irrelevant as the problem is broadband and phone line isn't activated yet.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But thats all a bit irrelevant as the problem is broadband and phone line isn't activated yet.

Well that's an an entirely different issue from what you opened the post with.  Your opening post seems to imply you've gone live and you have no internet.  Now you say the actual issue is you signed up three weeks ago and you're still not live?

Did you sign up with Plusnet directly and initialiate a switch?  Or did you phone up Post Office and say I'm off, wait for it to disconnect and then decide to go to Plusnet?
    If you're switching provider on a BT line you just pick somebody else and sign up, they do all the legwork, you didn't need to speak to Post Office, the system takes care of itself.

I think what might have happened here is Post Office have literally disconnected you and Plusnet have to wait for it all to be reconnected again, and that's why it's taking so long?  Its the same process as if you'd never had broadband on that line I believe.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When is your scheduled connection date?
    Most ISP's schedule the router delivery so that it arrives just a day or two before this date.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • The_stingemeister
    Options
    I ordered online around 2 and a half weeks before end of contract. Never had a start date. Had a letter saying it will take at least 10 working days...
  • southsidergs
    southsidergs Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 April 2021 at 10:52AM
    Options
    I refer you back to my earlier post then, call them. I know you think the onus shouldn't be on you to chase but if you've heard nothing it's the quickest way to get it resolved instead of just posting for advice online
  • The_stingemeister
    Options
    Thanks, but it was more about advice on my cancellation of Plusnet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback