PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2021 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Sallyp2
    Sallyp2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 May 2021 at 1:43PM
    Options
    Final declaration for May:
    Final grocery spends: £land £14 / JS £30.07 / Aldi £35.54 = £79.61. I have some nice things for BBQ's Sunday and Monday - first proper warm weather of the year and its a long weekend - yay!
    Grand total May grocery shops = £524.83 vs. Budget £320. A shocking overspend of £204.83
    Teacher comment: Could have done better and must spend less in June
    • Grocery Challenge: April £263.60 / £250
  • Sallyp2
    Options
    GSDMum said:
    Thought I was going to win this month; I managed to get to the 26th with £52.24 left over.... then we heard we were going to be honoured with a 'royal visit', in other words, Sister-in-Law is going to pay us a visit on Sunday. It looks like Sunday is going to be a cracking day, both weather-wise and company-wise, so we thought we'd take SinL and her husband out of the marina on a 3 hour cruise (on our narrowboat), stopping to while away a couple of hours in a nice quiet spot for lunch.

It's the lunch that's blown the budget!  Two bottles of wine, a few beers, and a special meal for 4 wasn't in the budget. 

For lunch we'll be having fresh salmon (for 3 carnivores), I'll make a cheese and onion quiche for my vegetarian BinL, together with a Jersey royal potato salad, and a green salad, finishing off with meringues, strawberries and cream, and slices of ogden melon.

Today I've managed to spend £119.18 in Aldi, making me some £57.91 over budget. I'm not upset though, as I'm not thinking of going shopping again for at least 10 days. During April I spent £231.37, adding this with this month's total of £357.91 = £589.28 for 2 months..... coming in under £300 per month  :)  

May has been a long month!

OH no on the overspend ... join the club
    Sounds like you will have a lovely day on Sunday with your family on the boat. BTW the lunch sounds yummy, room for a gatecrasher. The money and your overspend will come and go but your memories and photos of Sunday will last a long time. Have a fab day out
  • Sallyp2
    Options
    Two spends today. First at the Indian supermarket for 1kg crunchy peanut butter, 400g blanched peanuts and 375g fine polenta for £6.17. Then to M*rks for flowers, 400g carrots, a courgette, a cucumber, a pack of sweet gem lettuces, 500g frozen sweetcorn, 3 bags of radishes, 2 punnets of cherry toms, 2 bags of y/s physalis and some wilted y/s mint which has already perked up in a yoghurt carton, all for £17.77 of which the flowers were £10 so not too bad. 
    Wow on the value at the Indian supermarket. Good spending in m&s if £10 of your spend was flowers. M&S flowers are good and last well after they say they will.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all declaring £242.54/£350 for May. That includes a bulk purchase of the only shampoo I can use (free postage when you spend £30). I had money left in the budget otherwise I would have take in from the bulk fund. See you all in June
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £4.08 In C00-P, 4 packs reduced nans, @75p, bottle of dry ginger 49p, and a carrier, are carrier bags 59p ?, usually have a bag but the nans were extras.
    Do I need it or just want it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure