We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How low can you go...Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Whatever... electricity grid import

Options

Comments

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,037 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 2 May 2022 at 12:07AM
    Options
    April

Generated: 410.6kWh
    Self Use: 151.9kWh (37%)
    Imported: 182.3kWh
    Cost saving (@28p/kWh): £42.53
    SEG: £44.37 (avg 17.1p/kWh)

Cost savings+SEG to date since install £213.10 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • ggmf
    ggmf Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Generated: 491.8kWh (unused directed to battery or immersion as much as possible)
    Imported: 37.8kWh
    Exported: 64.1kWh

Pleased with that balance so far.

2 Separate arrays, 7 x JASolar 380w panels (2.66kWp) south facing, 4 x JASolar 380w panels (1.52kWp) east facing, 11 x Tigo optimizers & cloud, Growatt SPH5000, Growatt 6.5kWh Hybrid battery (Go-live 01/12/21) - Additional reporting via Solar Assistant.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Figures for April from myEnergi Zappi (smart meter and FiT meter stats are slightly different so I will stick with the Zappi figures for consistency)
    Generated: 698 kWh (last year 754)
    Self consumed 577 kWh (645)
    Total Consumed: 808 kWh (na)
    Imported: 231 kWh (416)
    Exported: 117kWh (109)

I was very surprised at how much import dropped year on year. I would like to think a big chunk of it was from my audit of standby consumption. In theory it could have been in the region of 2.5kwh/day but some of that would have been covered by solar (hence the lower self consumed figure). I was also testing out my 2.4 kWh PPS/340w solar panel to time shift but not every day. I also did more car charging from solar (despite less generation) not worrying if other devices were operating at the same time time rather than importing at cheap rate overnight. 
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • EcoScruples
    EcoScruples Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not got the solar or batteries installed yet so we decided to try some usage techniques to see if we could use less power and it's been pretty successful.
    By simply switching everything off of standby, using the shower on eco mode and not using multiple devices to cook with we've gone from an average of 12kw per day to 9kw per day.
    It's taken no real effort and is quite addictive now we have a new target.
    4.3kwp JA panels, Huawei 3.68kw Hybrid inverter, Huawei 10kw Lunar 2000 battery, Myenergi eddi, South facing array with a 15 degree roof pitch, winter shade.
  • Magnitio
    Magnitio Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    April stats:
    Generated - 767kWh (108% of PVGIS)
    Consumed - 373.3kWh
    Exported - 355.7kWh
    Imported - 18.5kWh
    Figures don't balance exactly due to some losses.
    Gas 232kWh compared to 945kWh last April.
    Saving roughly £95 for the month.
    Hoping to significantly reduce gas usage in May.

6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • mickyduck55
    mickyduck55 Posts: 655 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2022 at 7:27AM
    Options
    April a good month for me, 11.3% over PVIS ...

344.4 kWh Total used
    29.3  kWh imported
    477.5 kWh generated
    136  kWh exported

70% of generation used... 

PVIS 429
    Best day 25.03 kWh
    Worse day 8.1kWh

Gas usage almost zero... still using my AC if any heating is required in the evening.
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch (£3.36 /W).
    17 Yingli 235 panels
    Sunnyboy 4000TL inverter
    Sunny Webox
    Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since.

13 Feb 2020 LUX AC 3600 and 3 X Pylon Tech 3.5 kW batteries added...

20 January 2024 Daikin ASHP installed
  • mickyduck55
    mickyduck55 Posts: 655 Forumite
    Options
    Magnitio said:
    April stats:
    Generated - 767kWh (108% of PVGIS)
    Consumed - 373.3kWh
    Exported - 355.7kWh
    Imported - 18.5kWh
    Figures don't balance exactly due to some losses.
    Gas 232kWh compared to 945kWh last April.
    Saving roughly £95 for the month.
    Hoping to significantly reduce gas usage in May.

Well done that is a very nice low import figure.. had to change the bath mixer taps as they were only delivering cold water...so the electric shower has been in use but still happy with my numbers
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch (£3.36 /W).
    17 Yingli 235 panels
    Sunnyboy 4000TL inverter
    Sunny Webox
    Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since.

13 Feb 2020 LUX AC 3600 and 3 X Pylon Tech 3.5 kW batteries added...

20 January 2024 Daikin ASHP installed
  • Boffinboy24
    Boffinboy24 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Spies said:
    April

Generated: 410.6kWh
    Self Use: 151.9kWh (37%)
    Imported: 182.3kWh
    Cost saving (@28p/kWh): £42.53
    SEG: £44.37 (avg 17.1p/kWh)

Cost savings+SEG to date since install £213.10 
    Impressive SEG rate on Octopus Agile Outgoing. I was looking at getting a battery but if outgoing rates move up nicely with wholesale costs it significantly weakens the “man maths” for the battery. Did you have to do anything special to join? I am lucky and on a fix until 29 September, but with a different supplier, and was thinking about a move to Octopus at that point. With that huge export rate, instead of saving 24.5 per kWh not exported I’d be saving 13.5p at current price caps. If energy prices do fall longer term the battery economics suffer too, even if that SEG payment also goes down. This doesn’t take in to account the (maybe somewhat irrational) frustration of exporting energy you generate of course… Wonder why more people don’t go for Octopus Agile Outgoing? Is it just they want to be on Go?
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,037 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nothing special needed, I joined Octopus when Utility Point went bust, they installed a smart meter a week later then had to wait for the export MPAN to be generated and that was it. 

I'm on a standard variable tariff, I think the only two tariffs which are in compatible with Outgoing Agile are Go and Go Faster.

HTH
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • Boffinboy24
    Boffinboy24 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Spies said:
    Nothing special needed, I joined Octopus when Utility Point went bust, they installed a smart meter a week later then had to wait for the export MPAN to be generated and that was it. 

I'm on a standard variable tariff, I think the only two tariffs which are in compatible with Outgoing Agile are Go and Go Faster.

HTH
    Super, I think you’ve just pushed me over the edge of not getting a battery - as much as I irrationally want one! Solar is a solid return (even without outgoing agile), and definitely environmentally friendly - battery case is still borderline and relies on a lot of assumptions
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback